The Digital Fix is strapping on its big golden gauntlet and going on a quest. Don’t worry. We’re not planning on erasing half of sentient life (Editor: yet), though. We’re looking for a writer. Specifically, we want a talented and enthusiastic entertainment journalist to join our growing and ambitious team.
So if you know which Peter Parker is Peter One, love debating ad nauseam into the small hours which Star Wars movie is best, and think that looking at your phone in a cinema is a mortal sin, then we want to hear from you – there will also be some writing. We should say now that this position will involve working weekends, so if you can’t commit to that, this isn’t the job for you.
Still with us? That does put a smile on my face. Anyway, we want one UK-based staff writer to join us. The ideal applicant should love entertainment and tech and want to share that passion with the world. Sound good? Then check out the job description below…
Staff writer – The Digital Fix
- Role: Staff Writer, The Digital Fix
- Location: Fully remote (within UK only) or Hybrid
- Closing Date: Sunday 17th July (We reserve the right to close this advert early if sufficient number of applications have been received)
- Type: Full-time, Permanent; The role is weekends + 3 weekdays (successful candidate can discuss preference for weekdays)
- Salary: £25,000
Working for Network N Media
We’re a fun and friendly company offering an informal working environment with offices in central Bath. We are always growing, work fast but accurately, have an international reach and are nerdy as hell! We are committed to being an inclusive workplace and have various groups and events to hear underrepresented voices including Women, Neurodiversity, Diversity and Pride.
Our people make our success, so it is only fair we give plenty in return, including:
- 28 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday off
- Private medical plan through Vitality with enhanced mental health provision
- Auto-enrolment pension
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted Gift Card scheme
- Employee social events, including Christmas & summer parties
We are a global media business specialising in the gaming and entertainment industries. We have a publishing arm consisting of a dozen owned websites including PCGamesN, The Loadout, Pocket Tactics, Wargamer, The Digital Fix, and over 100 network site partners such as TrueAchievements.com.
We produce class-leading content for clients via our creative agency team, and work with publishers and advertisers to unlock audience value. We are based in Bath but are open to taking-on remote employees within the UK too.
Create brilliant regular content for The Digital Fix, with a focus on original reporting, including news, features, guides, opinion pieces, and more. Generate, write, upload, and publish high-quality editorial output with a view to grow the site’s reach and enhance the brand’s reputation.
You will be responsible for:
- Daily content creation, with a focus on guides, news writing, and original reporting
- Other content creation tasks, including reviews, features, and opinion pieces
- Ensuring consistently high editorial standards across all published content
- Maintaining a keen eye on industry developments and competitors
- Ensuring content is optimised for audience growth and discovery, and developing an awareness of best practices to facilitate this
- Other as requested by the Editor
- Writing at least four stories – one guide and three news stories – per day (unless otherwise agreed with Editor)
- Writing e-com and sponsored content stories when required
- Uploading stories to site CMS
- Adhering to our guidelines for style, tone, and SEO
- Conducting interviews and transcribe them
- Building and maintain relationships with PRs, developers, publishers, community sources etc.
- Attending and report from industry events
- Using the company’s workflow tools correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, etc.
You will have/be/able to:
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly, and to task across a range of disciplines
- The ability to find the most interesting angle for any given story
- A keen interest in and passion for TV, movies, and gadgets
- Experience writing news or features regularly, preferably online
- Proficiency with Google Docs, email, and other work tools
- Plan and prioritise own workload to meet agreed deadlines
- Check for errors to ensure work is delivered to a high standard first time
- Adapt to changing circumstances while maintaining a positive outlook
- Work with others in a professional and respectful manner
- Apply expertise; use basic company tools effectively, uses technology to achieve work objectives
- Must be able to produce proof of right to work in the UK by the start of employment
If it sounds like you are the right fit, please apply with a covering letter, a relevant writing sample, and a CV here.
Please also note that this role is based either hybrid (minimum expectation of 2 days per week in Bath head office) or can be remote within the UK, with visits to the office as required.