Disney announces new live action Star Wars TV series
More on Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi coming to Blu-ray, 4K Blu-ray and Digital Download in April
- Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars films!
- Watch the first full trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Check out the teaser for the Solo: A Star Wars Story trailer
- A date for the Solo: A Star Wars Story trailer seems to have been set
The live-action Star Wars universe is heading for the small screen. Disney CEO Bob Iger has announced plans for a live-action Star Wars TV series to debut on Disney's new streaming service. This comes alongside the announcement of a new Star Wars trilogy of movies, not connected to the Skywalker saga and headed up by Star Wars: The Last Jedi screenwriter and director Rian Johnson. Both the movie trilogy and TV series will debut after 2020.
The new streaming service will debut in 2019 and the new Star Wars TV series will be joined by three other live-action shows also based on Disney properties; Marvel, Monster’s Inc. and High School Musical.
During the call to investors, Iger stated:
“Our advantage as a company is to take advantages that exist out there for good television and take advantage of it.”
There is also talk of another animated Star Wars TV series, with current show Star Wars: Rebels currently early into its fourth and final season. This is the second attempt at launching a live action show, with George Lucas' bounty hunter-themed Star Wars: Underworld failing to gain traction before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney.
There is no news yet on what the TV series will be about but we'll be following this announcement eagerly...
Last updated: 10/11/2017 07:31:03