Sony Xperia Z1 launch night
We pulled Max Mazonowicz away from his day job over at Music @ Digital Fix so he could attend the UK launch event for the new Sony Xperia Z1. He'll do anything for sushi ...
Well, what to say about my first launch event for my pals at Geek:Life @The Digital Fix. Due to the inevitable tube problems I was a little late. Unless my travel blips had caused me to miss the huge presentation and hands-on session I expected - this being a launch event for the new Sony Xperia Z1 after all - you'd think the actual phone would have had a more prominent position. When I finally saw one (by going over and asking a Sony rep) it turned out to be a pretty nice piece of kit. Basically it's the original Xperia Z but better. A better screen (amazingly crisp and colourful), a massive 20MP camera (pretty good but I was only able to see it in low light), nice rounded aluminium edges (definitely more comfortable to hold), a longer battery life (so they say, due to the 3,000mAh battery, impossible to test in two minutes though) and it's now properly waterproof (you could take it in the shower to listen to music, apparently). An impressive piece of kit then, but at a time when innovation is increasingly rare, one which might rely on Sony's marketing muscle to really catch the eye in the market.
So what of the rest of the evening you might ask? What happens at these fancy launch events? Well, great food (an array of sushi), an impressive variety of cocktails (the red one was pokey) and lots (and lots) of champagne to keep us journos happy. Oh, and the venue was very fancy with fantastic views of the London skyline, particularly the Gherkin.
Finally, to keep everyone entertained the live music of the night was supposed to be TMF fave Misty Miller but her aborted set lasted just two songs due to the noise of chatter (Tech types, no respect - Ed.) drowning out the worst sound system ever installed. I'm surprised she even got through two songs, so well done Misty. If you were there and want to see her properly she's at the Royal Albert Hall next Tuesday.
The Sony Xperia Z1 is available now from £599 and in black, white, or purple.
Sony Xperia Z1: Specs
• Design: Dust and water resistant (IP55 and IP58)
• Operating System: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
• Screen: 5 in Full HD (1080 x 1920), Triluminos, X-Reality
• Processor: 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core
• Storage: 16 GB, microSD (up to 64 GB)
• Memory: 2GB
• Camera (rear): 20.7 Mp, Exmore RS sensor, Bionz processing engine, 27 mm G lens, F2.0, 8x digital zoom, HDR, burst mode, object tracking, 1080p video
• Camera (front): 2Mp, 1080p
• Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, MHL support, aGPS, DLNA, 4G LTE
• Battery: 3000mAh, up to 830 mins talk time, up to 880 hours standby