HTC have announced that their next generation of PC based VR kit, the HTC Vive Cosmos is set for release in Europe on 3rd October and will retail at £699.
Vive Cosmos was built to adapt to the needs of VR customers with ease, versatility, and performance at the forefront. The all-new Vive tracking system offers a simplified setup that makes getting into VR faster and easier than ever before, with six camera sensors for wide and accurate inside-out tracking. Cosmos features a 2880 x 1700 combined pixel resolution—an 88% increase over the original Vive—delivering crystal-clear text and graphics. All-new LCD panels reduce the distance between pixels and combined with real RGB displays minimize screen-door effect.
With a modular faceplate design, Vive Cosmos is the most versatile premium VR headset yet, designed with upcoming accessories to change the functionality of the headset and offer customers the ability for their headset to grow with them over time. The first official “mod”, announced today, is the Vive Cosmos External Tracking Mod for customers that want to continue to use their existing Lighthouse base stations for tracking scenarios, but also take advantage of the superior performance of Vive Cosmos. This first base station-compatible mod supports Vive’s ecosystem of peripherals including the Vive Tracker, delivering unprecedented input freedom for VR controls. This new mod will be available in Q1 of next year
Vive Cosmos pre-orders will also net you a 12 month Viveport Infinity subscription. The subscription gives unlimited access to hundreds of VR apps, games and videos.
Vive Cosmos Specs
- Resolution: 1440 x 1700 pixels per eye (2880 x 1700 pixels combined)
- Screen: Dual 3.4″ LCD diagonal
- Refresh rate: 90 Hz
- Field of view: 110 degrees
- Audio: Built-in stereo headphones
- Required PC connectivity: USB 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.2
- Peripheral Ports: USB-C 3.0, proprietary connection to mods
- Tracking: no minimum space requirements for standing/seated, minimum 2m x 1.5m for room-scale mode
- Module Faceplates: Vive Motion Mod (Ships with Cosmos) and Vive Cosmos External Tracking Mod (Sold separately)
- Vive Wireless Adapter support: Yes, sold separately with attach kit. Available PCIe slot required
Evercade announce their first Bitmap Brothers collection
Continue the conversation over on The Digital Fix Forum