Tokyo Sonata (R2/UK BD) in June
Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Tokyo Sonata as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 22nd June 2009. From the acclaimed Japanese director best known for his horror films such as Cure and Kairo (Pulse), Kurosawa’s latest sees him take on the family drama genre with a portrait of a seemingly ordinary Japanese family. All appears normal until the father loses his job and tries to conceal the fact. Somehow an unforeseeable chasm appears within the family, only to spread ever so quietly and quickly to disintegrate them.
Priced at £19.99 RRP on DVD and £22.99 RRP on Blu-ray Disc, features include:
- HD transfer of the film in its original aspect ratio
- Newly translated optional English subtitles
- Making of Documentary (60 minutes)
- Q&A, Tokyo, September 2008 (12 minutes)
- Premiere, Tokyo, September 2008 (15 minutes)
- DVD Discussion (9 minutes)
- Original UK theatrical trailer
- 28-page booklet containing a brand new essay by writer B. Kite
The DVD is presented in anamorphic widescreen with Japanese DD2.0 Stereo and optional English subtitles. The Blu-ray is 1080P with Japanese 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD and optional English subtitles. Extras will be in NTSC SD except for the trailer which is HD.
The film is showing theatrically at selected cinemas nationwide until June 2009. The full schedule can be found on the official site.