The Wizard of Oz 70th AE UCE (R1/US BD) in September
Warner Home Video have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition on 29th September 2009. This new commemorative edition contains nearly 4 hours of all-new and never-before-available bonus features and is housed in numbered collectible packaging, and will be available for a limited time only for $69.92 SRP (DVD) and $84.99 SRP (Blu-ray). There will also be a new 2-Disc Special Edition DVD ($24.98 SRP) available.
From the press release:
In order to bring all the visual splendor of The Wizard of Oz to the Hi-Def world of Blu-ray Disc, the film has been entirely remastered, with each of the original Technicolor camera negatives scanned using 8K resolution. From this scan, a final ‘capture’ master was created in 4K, yielding twice the resolution seen in the master utilized for the film's previous DVD release.
Working in ‘full film Resolution’, extreme care was taken to ensure that all of the image fidelity contained in the original negatives was properly captured for this new presentation. The sounds of Oz will come alive on Blu-ray disc utilizing the full audio spectrum capabilities available through Dolby TrueHD audio. The net result is one of unprecedented quality that is sure to make The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition a benchmark in the history of the Blu-ray format.
The following components are ALL-NEW and exclusive to this release:
The Dreamer of Oz – which makes its long-awaited home video debut. Also remastered the occasion, this full-length motion picture was an NBC-TV special event in 1990 and thrilled critics and audiences as it told the back story of author L. Frank Baum, "the Royal Historian of Oz.” John Ritter shines in the title role -- the man who defied all odds to create the famous characters and stories. Annette O'Toole beautifully co-stars as his supportive wife, with Rue McClanahan as his challenging witch of a mother-in-law.
Victor Fleming, Master Craftsman -- a new feature-length documentary produced specifically for this release about the Hollywood director who, in the same year, miraculously brought both Oz and Gone With the Wind to the screen.
Hollywood Celebrates It’s Biggest Little Stars-- a new featurette stars seven of the original "Munchkins of Oz" and tells the saga of the long journey, culminating in them receiving their own 2007 Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
The Magic Cloak of Oz -- the first release of the complete 1914 silent film, including lost footage never before included in a home video presentation of this feature (produced by Baum himself).
The Patchwork Girl of Oz -- another 1914 Baum-produced, feature-length silent film, new to Warner Home Video.
The Wizard of Oz Sing-Along Track -- here making its home entertainment debut.
Reproductions of Archival Material -- Extraordinary renderings of the original 1939 Oz campaign, exploitation, and press books. These materials constitute a Hollywood "holy grail" for Oz, Garland, and motion picture fans alike and, for decades, have been among the most sought-after and impossible-to-find collectibles.
Behind The Curtain -- a 52-page miniature coffee-table book, assembled by pre-eminent Oz historian John Fricke. Encompassing much previously unpublished material, the deluxe volume includes behind-the-scenes Oz photographs, studio memos, and script pages for abandoned scenes and musical numbers.
Exclusive Wizard of Oz Watch -- A collectible and numbered 70th Anniversary watch, incorporating art from the film and enhanced with genuine crystals. Available nowhere else, this beautiful timepiece was created specially for this DVD edition.
And for the Blu-Ray Ultimate Collector’s Edition, the original extended version of “If I Only Had a Brain” performed by Ray Bolger has been remastered in hi-definition especially for this release.
2-Disc DVD ($24.98 SRP)
- Remastered feature with Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio (NEW)
- Sing-along Track (NEW)
- Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman (daughter of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr (son of Bert Lahr), Jane Lahr (daughter of Bert Lahr), Hamilton Meserve (son of Margaret Hamilton), Dona Massin (MGM choreographer), William Tuttle (make-up artist), Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy, and Jerry Maren
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook
- Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
- We Haven’t Really Met Properly
- Music and Effects Track
- Original Mono Track
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic [1990 TV special]
- Memories of Oz [2001 TCM documentary]
- The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz
- Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
- Harold Arlen’s Home Movies
- Outtakes and Deleted Scenes
- It’s a Twister! It’s a Twister! The Tornado Tests
- Off to See the Wizard
- 3 Vault Shorts
- Audio Jukebox Selection
- Leo Is on the Air Radio Promo
- Good News of 1939 Radio Show
- 12/25/1950 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
- Still Galleries
- Six Theatrical Trailers
DVD & Blu-ray Ultimate Collector’s Editions
Includes everything listed in the Two Disc SE as well as the following:
- Victor Fleming: Master Craftsman (NEW)
- L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain
- Celebrating Hollywood’s Biggest Little Stars (NEW)
- The Dreamer of Oz [1990 TV special] (NEW)
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)
- The Wizard of Oz 
- • His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz
- The Magic Cloak of Oz  (NEW)
- The Patchwork Girl of Oz  (NEW)
- The Wizard of Oz [1925 feature]
(Blu-ray will have Discs 1 & 2 and Discs 3 & 4 combined)
Also included are unique premiums:
- Collectible and numbered 70th Anniversary Wizard of Oz watch with genuine crystals
- Replica of the original film budget
- Behind the Curtain, A 52-page, coffee-table book
- Reproduction of the original 1939 campaign book
Exclusive to the DVD and Blu-ray Ultimate Collector’s Editions:
- Digital Copy on Disc
Exclusive to the Blu-ray Ultimate Collector’s Edtion:
- MGM: When The Lion Roars Documentary
DVD AV Specs
- English DD5.1 Surround
- English and French Mono
- English, French and Spanish subtitles
Blu-ray Disc AV Specs
- 1080P 1.33:1
- English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
- English 5.1 Dolby Digital
- English, French, Spanish, German, Italian and Portuguese 1.0 Mono
- English SDH, French, Spanish, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German SDH, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese and Swedish (Movie and Select Bonus Material)