The Return of the King Extended Edition in December - Menus added
New Line Home Entertainment have finally announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Special Extended Edition with full details appearing on the official website. Set to arrive on 14th December 2004 in both 4 Disc Platinum Series and 5 Disc Collector's DVD Gift Set form each will include an all-new version of the film with over 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage integrated into the original theatrical release.
Though not yet announced, the R2 release from EIV should debut on the same day with identical content...
DISCS 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 250 minutes) - A new version of the final installment in the epic trilogy! The Academy-Award® winning film now has 50 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film for this highly-anticipated video release:
- Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
- Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
- DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
- Stereo Surround Sound
- English subtitles and closed captions
- Spanish subtitles
- Four audio commentaries by the director and writers, the design team, the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Howard Shore…and many more.
- Cast commentary also features dialogue between split-personality characters Gollum and Smeagol (Andy Serkis)!
DISCS 3-4: The Appendices
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King:
THE APPENDICES PART V: "The War of the Ring"
- Disc intro by director Peter Jackson
- "J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth" documentary
- From Book to Script:
- "From Book to Script: Forging the Final Chapter" documentary
- Abandoned Concept: Aragorn Battles Sauron
- Designing and Building Middle-earth
- "Designing Middle-earth" documentary
- "Big-atures" documentary
- "Weta Workshop" documentary
- "Costume Design" documentary
- Design Galleries - 2,123 images
- The Peoples of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
- The Realms of Middle-earth (galleries with docent audio)
- Miniatures (galleries with docent audio)
- "Home of the Horse Lords" documentary
- "Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship" interactive map
- "New Zealand as Middle-earth" interactive map w/on-location footage
THE APPENDICES PART VI: "The Passing of an Age"
- Disc intro by Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan
- Filming The Return of the King
- "Cameras in Middle-earth" documentary
- Production Photos (gallery) - 69 images
- Visual Effects
- "Weta Digital" documentary
- "The Mumakil Battle" demonstration / multi-angle interactive feature
- Post Production: Journey's End
- "Editorial: Completing the Trilogy" documentary
- "Music for Middle-earth" documentary
- "The Soundscapes of Middle-earth" documentary
- "The End of All Things" documentary
- "The Passing of an Age" documentary
- Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for "Into the West"
- "Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for 'Into the West'" documentary
- "DFK6498" short film
- "Strike Zone" short film
DVD-ROM CONTENT: Includes access to exclusive online features
The Collector's DVD Gift Set will include the entire four-disc Special Extended DVD Edition in elaborate package art conceived and designed solely for the gift set by famed J.R.R. Tolkien illustrator Alan Lee. Inside will be a hand-painted, intricately detailed, polystone sculpture of Minas Tirith – the seven-tiered City of Kings, beneath whose ramparts the greatest battle in The Lord of the Rings is fought. The Minas Tirith statue also lifts off its base revealing a lined keepsake compartment. The sculpture was created by Sideshow Weta Collectibles workshop under the supervision of Peter Jackson and Academy Award ®-winning visual effects artist Richard Taylor and created exclusively for the boxed set.
The limited edition Collector’s DVD Gift Set will also contain a fifth DVD titled, Howard Shore: Creating The Lord of The Rings Symphony – A Composers Journey Through Middle-earth. This 52-minute bonus DVD includes excerpts of live concert footage of The Lord of the Rings Symphony recorded with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.
Below we have a hi-res look at these sets...