The Man Who Laughs and Love The Hard Way from Kino
Kino on Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Paul Leni's adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic novel The Man Who Laughs for 30th September 2003 with a retail price of $29.95. Released through a special arrangement with Universal Pictures this film dates back to 1928 and has undergone considerable restoration for this DVD release, all of which is detailed below...
This first-ever home video edition of The Man Who Laughs was mastered from a newly restored print, which was made possible by an unprecedented collaboration of the Cineteca Del Comune di Bologna, CinŽmatheque Francaise and Fondazione Cineteca Italiana di Milano. This newly restored print was struck from two first generation nitrate prints located in London and Milan; the intertitles found in the English version were used as a model for the new print, while the Italian print was used to guide the reconstruction of the sections missing from the English print. The original orchestral soundtrack presented with the first release of the film was also re-recorded and used on this DVD and VHS edition of The Man Who Laughs-music was provided by Universal Pictures.
Bonus features to accompany the film are...
- An original 20-minute documentary on the making of the film
- Rare footage of Conrad Veidt at home with his family, as well as fellow European emigrés Greta Garbo, Emil Jannings, and Camilla Horn
- Extensive gallery of rare photographs and art
- Booklet essay by John Soister, author of CONRAD VEIDT ON SCREEN
- Excerpt of the Italian release version, with unique hand-painted title cards
- Excerpt from Victor Hugo's original novel
Kino have also announced the Region 1 DVD release of Love the Hard Way for 28th October 2003 with a retail price of $29.95. From director Peter Sehr and starring Adrien Brody this romantic drama will offer the following on DVD...
- Anamorphic Widescreen
- English DD5.1 Surround
- "U-STORE IT U-LOCK IT U-KEEP THE KEY" - The Making of Love the Hard Way
- A Film by Marie Noelle (2001, 60 min.)
- Deleted Scenes and Clips
- Theatrical Trailer
- Stills Gallery