Shogun Assassin (UK BD) in November
Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK Dual Format Edition release of Shogun Assassin on 29th November 2010. This chanbara classic was lifted from a hugely popular comic book saga and, still wet, transferred glistening to the screen. After being framed for disloyalty to his clan lord, disgraced ronin Itto Ogami (with three-year-old son Daigoro in tow) travels medieval Japan as the most skilled samurai-for-hire bar none. But as the treachery and obstacles in his latest mission quickly pile up, Ogami is forced to handle it the only way he knows how. A re-scored, re-dubbed reassembly of the first two films in the Lone Wolf & Cub series, the result has become an ageless cult sensation in its own right: a crazed thrill-ride in a booby-trapped baby cart, propelled on arterial spray, hurtling gleefully to nowhere.
Originally censored by the BBFC for cinema release and then banned as a video nasty, Shogun Assassin is released here fully uncut and in a Limited Edition Dual Format Steelbook (Blu-ray & DVD). RRP is £24.99.
- Stunning fully-restored 1080p presentation of the uncut film in its original aspect ratio
- New video appreciation of the film by actor Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction)
- Two commentary tracks: one featuring producer David Weisman, illustrator Jim Evans and actor Gibran Evans (the voice of Daigoro); the second with film scholar Ric Meyers and martial arts expert Steve Watson
- Original HD theatrical trailer for Shogun Assassin
- Original Japanese trailers for all six of the original Lone Wolf and Cub films