Onibaba (Masters of Cinema Series) in September
Eureka Video have announced the UK DVD release of Kaneto Shindo's Onibaba as part of their Masters of Cinema range for 5th September 2005 priced at £19.99. Kaneto Shindo received his biggest international success with the release of Onibaba in 1964. Its depiction of violence and graphic sexuality was unprecedented at the time of release. Shindo managed — through his own production company Kindai Eiga Kyokai — to bypass the strict, self-regulated Japanese film industry and pave the way for such films as Yasuzo Masumura's Mojuu (1969) and Nagisa Oshima's Ai no corrida (1976).
- Newly restored high-definition transfer, anamorphic 2.35:1 OAR
- Full-length audio commentary by director Kaneto Shindo and the stars of the film, Kei Sato, and Jitsuko Yoshimura
- Video introduction by Alex Cox
- 8mm footage (40-minutes) shot on location by actor Kei Sato
- Optional English subtitles (new translation)
- Original trailer
- Production stills and promotional art gallery
- 24-page booklet with a new essay by Doug Cummings, an English translation of the original short Buddhist fable that inspired the film and a statement from writer/director Kaneto Shindo about why he made Onibaba
Artwork and menus follow...