Lord of the Rings Region 1 Details
New Line Cinema held a Gala event in California last night to announce the full details for the Region 1 DVD release of The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. As was previously suspected there will be a Theatrical Cut and a Directors Cut edition of the film released, and fitting with the changing market a total of 4 separate DVD releases will make it to Region 1 DVD this year.
August 6th will see the Theatrical Cut released in both Widescreen (2:35:1 Anamorphic) and Pan & Scan editions with an RRP of $29.95 each. Both releases will be a 2-disc set featuring Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Digital 2.0 Soundtracks on the film that will be contained in its entirety on Disc One. Disc Two on both releases will contain the following special features...
- Three In-depth Documentaries:
- "Welcome to Middle-earth" (an in-store special shown by Houghton Mifflin)
- "The Quest for the Ring" (30-minute special originally shown on the Fox Network)
- "A Passage to Middle-earth" (60-minute special originally shown on the Sci-Fi Channel)
- 15 featurettes originally created for lordoftherings.net, which explore the locales and cultures of Middle-earth and include interviews with cast members Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler and others
- Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of the next The Lord of the Rings theatrical release, "The Two Towers"
- Enya "May It Be" music video
- An inside look at the special extended DVD edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- Preview of Electronic Arts' video game "The Two Towers"
- Original theatrical trailers and TV spots
- Exclusive online content only available to DVD-ROM users via a special website set to go live on street date
The fourth planned release will also street November 12th and will be a special limited edition gift set of the four-disc set, with two bookend statuettes created by sculptor Sideshow Weta, the National Geographic "Beyond The Movie" DVD, and several collectible Decipher game cards. Like the 'standard' four-disc set, there are no pricing details for this limited edition release.
For now why not take a look at the two-disc set artwork and menu screens...