L'Age d'or (BFI) in May
The BFI have announced the UK Dual Format Edition release of L'Age d'or on 30th May 2011. This collaboration from Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí has been newly mastered in High Definition for the first time. The controversial film tells a sinister yet poignant chronicle of a couple's struggle to consummate their frenzied desire in the face of a stream of obstacles, in the form of bourgeois society and the Church, the film was banned and vilified for many years for its subversive eroticism and furious dissection of 'civilised' values.
Extras include a new HD transfer of the 1960 restoration of Un Chien Andalou, Buñuel and Dalí's provocative debut which created a scandal at its premiere. Presented here with the restoration score, based on Buñuel's notes, the BFI has also commissioned musicmakers Mordant Music (who re-scored an array of 70s and 80s public information films and documentary shorts produced by the Central Office of Information (COI) last year for the BFI DVD release MisinforMation) to create an alternative soundtrack option, which is premiered on this release.
In addition to Robert Short's filmed introduction and audio commentaries for both L'Age d'or and Un Chien Andalou, this comprehensive release is completed by A Propósito de Buñuel - a feature-length documentary on the life and work of Luis Buñuel, by José Luis López-Linares and Javier Rioyo.
Those features in full:
- Disc 1: BD25 /1080p / 24fps / PCM mono audio (48k/24-bit)
- Disc 2: DVD9 / PAL / Dolby Digital 320kbps mono audio
- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Selected scenes commentary for L’ Age d’or by author and filmmaker Robert Short
- Un Chien Andalou (1929, 16 mins): the 1960 restoration of Buñuel and Dalí’s debut
- Alternative score for Un Chien Andalou by Mordant Music
- Commentary for Un Chien Andalou by Robert Short
- A Propósito de Buñuel (2000, 99 mins, DVD only)
- Filmed introduction by Robert Short (25 mins, DVD only)
- 26-page illustrated booklet with essays, biographies and credits
The disc is noted as Region 0.