Hellboy II: The Golden Army (R1) in November
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Hellboy II: The Golden Army on 18th November 2008. Directed by Guillermo del Toro, this comic-book sequel is based on characters created by Mike Mignola for Dark Horse Comics. Ron Perlman stars as the titular Hellboy with support from Selma Blair, Doug Jones, Jeffrey Tambor, and Luke Goss as the renegade elvish prince.
The film will be available on separate Widescreen and Full Screen single-disc versions ($29.98 SRP each), or for a limited time only*, a widescreen 3-disc Special Edition ($34.98 SRP) with 3-D packaging featuring a digital copy of the film and hours of bonus features. Also available is a Limited Edition Collector’s Set ($64.98 SRP) featuring all of the bonus features of the 3-disc special edition plus a collectible Golden Army statuette, limited edition poster, director's production journal and certificate of authenticity.
*The wording in the press release suggests the 3-Disc DVD is limited in quantity, though we believe it’s just the 3-D packaging that is limited. Universal have done this before though (offered very limited runs of multi-disc special editions in the past) so it's not out of the question.
Single-Disc Editions: Separate widescreen and full screen versions with the following features:
- English, Spanish and French DD5.1 Surround
- English DVS 2.0 (audio description)
- English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
- Feature Commentary with Director Guillermo del Toro
- Feature Commentary with Cast Members Jeffrey Tambor, Selma Blair and Luke Goss
- Set Visits: Seven mini documentaries provide viewers with unlimited access to the Hellboy II: The Golden Army set.
- Troll Market Tour with Guillermo del Toro: Using sketches and backstage video, del Toro walks the audience through the creation of one of the film's most distinctive sets, the legendary Troll Market.
- Animated Zinco Epilogue Comic
- Deleted Scenes With Optional Commentary by Director Guillermo del Toro
Three-Disc Editions: The widescreen version of the single-disc release, a digital copy of the film and the following additional bonus features:
- Prologue: A special introduction to the DVD from director Guillermo del Toro.
- Pre-Production Vault:
- Director's Notebook: Exclusive interviews, image scans and text from Guillermo del Toro's personal notebook.
- Concept Art Gallery: Original designs and concepts for Hellboy II: The Golden Army's costumes and sets.
- Hellboy: In Service Of The Demon: Over two hours of footage that takes fans into the creation of this film.
- Production Workshop: Professor Broom's Puppet Theatre: A special look inside the opening sequence of the film including storyboards and animatics.
- Image Gallery Featuring Teaser Banners, One-Sheets and Poster Explorations
- DVD Rom: Hellboy II: The Golden Army Script
Click to enlarge