Gladiator: The Other Regions...
I've been checking over the Region 1 and Region 4 details for Gladiator and although worded differently, it appears that all three releases are going to be pretty much the same. Just to make sure that all the details are on-line here's what the press material says is on the Region 1 Dreamworks disc due on 21 November:
- An insightful and compelling Director commentary with Ridley Scott providing an in-depth look at the dazzling special effects and the creation of this fascinating film
- Never-before-seen, previously unreleased scenes with Director Ridley Scott's commentary.
- A visually stunning "Treasure Chest" of additional footage cut to music by Pietro Scalia.
- A fascinating behind-the-scenes half hour special.
- A one-hour program revealing the astonishing history of the Gladiatorial games.
- An interview with Hans Zimmer on scoring the music for this epic.
- Lucious' production diary written by young actor Spencer Treat Clark.
- A slideshow of concept art and storyboard stills.
- A behind-the-scenes gallery of stills from the set of Gladiator.
- Original theatrical trailers and television spots.
- Production notes.
- Cast and filmmaker biographies.
- Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS on the same disc.
And, just to give you a complete picture here's what is apparently on the Region 4 Columbia Tristar/Universal disc (due a little later than in Region 1 and 2 on 6 December):
- Director's commentary by Ridley Scott
- HBO First Look featurette
- The Learning Channel featurette
- A 15-minute interview with composer Hans Zimmer "Scoring A Feature"
- 10-minute visual effects feature
- A tribute to Oliver Reed
- 25 minutes of deleted scenes with commentary by Ridley Scott
- 7-minutes montage of deleted scenes with a special Hans Zimmer music score
- Cast and crew biographies/filmographies
- Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks
So really, there's not a lot in it... Minor differences could be down to mistakes in the press material or even in the way things are worded - it looks to me like all three releases will be fairly similar but we wont be able to say for sure until the film is actually released.