Certain Women and It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World coming from Criterion this September
Criterion UK have announced Blu-ray releases of Stanley Kramer's It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Kelly Reichardt's Certain Women for September.
STANLEY KRAMER followed his Oscar-winning Judgment at Nuremberg with this sobering investigation of American greed. Ah, who are we kidding? It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, about a group of strangers fighting tooth and nail over buried treasure, is the most grandly harebrained movie ever made, a pileup of slapstick and borscht-belt-y one-liners performed by a nonpareil cast, including MILTON BERLE, SID CAESAR, ETHEL MERMAN, MICKEY ROONEY, SPENCER TRACY, JONATHAN WINTERS, and a boatload of other playing-to-the-rafters comedy legends. For sheer scale of silliness, Kramer’s wildly uncharacteristic film is unlike any other, an exhilarating epic of tomfoolery.
The Blu-ray release is taken from a brand new 4K remaster of the extended 197 minute version of the film and features a full 5.1 channel soundtrack.
- New audio commentary featuring It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World aficionados Mark Evanier, Michael Schlesinger and Paul Scrabo
- New documentary on the film’s visual and sound effects, featuring rare behind-the-scenes footage of the crew at work and interviews with visual-effects specialist Craig Barron and sound designer Ben Burtt
- Talk show from 1974 hosted by director Stanley Kramer and featuring Mad World actors Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, and Jonathan Winters
- Press interview from 1963 featuring Kramer and members of the film’s cast
- Interviews recorded for the 2000 AFI programme 100 Years . . . 100 Laughs, featuring comedians and actors discussing the influence of the film
- Two-part 1963 episode of the CBC television program Telescope that follows the film’s press junket and premiere
- The Last 70mm Film Festival, a program from 2012 featuring cast and crew members from Mad World at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, hosted by Billy Crystal
- Selection of humorist and voice-over artist Stan Freberg’s original TV and radio advertisements for the film, with a new introduction by Freberg
- Original and rerelease trailers, and rerelease radio spots
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Lou Lumenick
The expanses of the American Northwest take centre stage in this intimately observed triptych from KELLY REICHARDT (Meek’s Cutoff). Adapted from three short stories by MAILE MELOY and unfolding in self-contained but interlocking episodes, CERTAIN WOMEN navigates the subtle shifts in personal desire and social expectation that unsettle the circumscribed lives of its characters: a lawyer (Blue Velvet’s LAURA DERN) forced to subdue a troubled client; a woman (Manchester by the Sea’s MICHELLE WILLIAMS) whose plans to construct her dream home reveal fissures in her marriage; and a night-school teacher (Personal Shopper’s KRISTEN STEWART) who forms a tenuous bond with a lonely ranch hand (LILY GLADSTONE), whose unguardedness and deep attachment to the land deliver an unexpected jolt of emotional immediacy. With unassuming craft, Reichardt captures the rhythms of daily life in small-town Montana through these fine-grained portraits of women trapped within the landscape’s wide-open spaces.
Certain Women comes to Blu-ray from a new 2K master supervised by director Kelly Reichardt and cinematographer Christopher Blauvelt, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.
- New interviews with the film’s cast and crew, including Reichardt and executive producer Todd Haynes
- New interview with Maile Meloy, author of the stories on which the film is based
- PLUS: An essay by critic Ella Taylor