Battlestar Galactica arrives this October
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Battlestar Galactica – Complete Epic Series for 21st October 2003 with a retail price of $119.98. Available for the first time ever on DVD this six-disc set contains all 24 hour-long episodes from the first and only series of the classic sci-fi show.
For this release the entire series has been re-mastered from original source materials for optimal picture and sound quality. Each episode will be presented in their original broadcast order in 1.33:1 Full Frame with both a newly created 5.1 Dolby Digital surround track and the original mono track available. Optional English, French and Spanish subtitles are also present.
In terms of bonus features the Press Release only mentions the following...
- Loaded with newly-produced bonus materials and never-before-seen footage, including an interview with series creator Glen A. Larson and series stars’ Richard Hatch (Apollo), Terry Carter (Col. Tigh) and Anne Lockhart (Sheba).
- Insight into the "Making of" Battlestar Galactica
- Creation of Battlestar Galactica: an Interview with creator Glen A. Larson
- Deleted Scenes
- Commentary for selected episodes by Cast/Crew
- Visual Effects with John Dykstra
- Sci-Fi Special: Making of the Show
- Composing the Music: Stu Phillips and Glen A. Larson
- Production Notes
- Sneak preview into the new Sci-Fi Channel Battlestar Galactica mini-series
- Interactive Game Trailer
- Sneak preview of the new SCI FI Channel’s mini-series
- Includes a coupon for $10 off the Complete Epic Series DVD box set
Here is the first look at the elaborate box artwork, some menu screens and the full press release for you.
Universal Studios Home Video Announces
2003 as the
Year of Battlestar Galactica
Complete Epic Series & Original Feature Film
BLASTS OFF on DVD to
Celebrate 25th Anniversary of Television Premiere
Universal City, California, July 1, 2003 – Explore the Universe! Battlestar Galactica – Complete Epic Series will be available for the first time ever on DVD on October 21, 2003, just in time for the December 2003 premiere of The SCI FI Channel’s original mini-series Battlestar Galactica, inspired by the original landmark television series. Additionally, fans can set their sights on a fleet of Cylon raiders in the upcoming “Battlestar Galactica” videogame in stores this September for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment America and the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft. 2003 marks the 25th anniversary of the television premiere of this groundbreaking series.
The adventurous story of humans amongst the stars, the six-disc Complete Epic Series Box Set features all 24 hour-long episodes of the original series. Loaded with newly produced and never-before-seen bonus features, this six-disc set is the definitive release that fans have been waiting for! Plus, every fan will want to display their Battlestar Galactica – Complete Epic Series, due to the highly collectible, traffic-stopping packaging. The six-disc Complete Epic Series DVD collection is priced at $119.98 S.R.P. and the Battlestar Galactica – Original Feature Film is priced at $19.98 S.R.P. for the first time. The pre-order close date is September 19.
Battlestar Galactica – Complete Epic Series six-disc highlights:
• Loaded with newly-produced bonus materials and never-before-seen footage, including an interview with series creator Glen A. Larson and series stars’ Richard Hatch (Apollo), Terry Carter (Col. Tigh) and Anne Lockhart (Sheba).
• The six-disc set includes all 24 hours of the original series, presented in their original broadcast order, the way fans want to see them.
• Entire series re-mastered from original source materials for optimal picture and sound quality.
• Features both a newly created 5.1 Dolby Digital surround track and the original monotrack.
Battlestar Galactica – Original Feature Film DVD highlights:
• Award winning special effects by John Dykstra (Star Wars, Spider-Man) and visual effects by Richard Edlund (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Air Force One).
• Includes a sneak preview of the new SCI FI Channel’s mini-series.
• Includes a coupon for $10 off the Complete Epic Series DVD box set.
• Starring Lorne Greene, Richard Hatch, Jane Seymour, Rick Springfield, Ray Milland and Dirk Benedict.
Universal Studios Home Video will support the release of Battlestar Galactica – Complete Epic Series & Battlestar Galactica – Original Feature Film on DVD with a national media campaign including television, Internet, and in-theatre advertising. The national media campaign will include promotional spots airing throughout October and November.
Battlestar Galactica, the definitive battle between the last surviving human colony and an evil robotic race, premiered on ABC in 1978 to an audience of 65 million viewers. The show remained a top-15 series throughout its brief run, and was eventually cancelled due to the prohibitively expensive special effects. From legendary television series creator Glen A. Larson (Magnum P.I., The Six Million Dollar Man), this science fiction adventure starring Lorne Green, Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict quickly established itself as an epic and powerful television saga. Considered cutting-edge for its time, Battlestar Galactica took home Emmy Awards for Outstanding Costume Design for a Series and Outstanding Individual Achievement – Creative Technical Crafts.
SCI FI Channel (www.scifi.com) transmits fantastic images to 80 million homes. SCI FI Channel is a program service of Universal Television Networks, part of Universal Television Group, a division of Vivendi UNIVERSAL Entertainment (VUE). In December 2003, SCI FI Channel will premiere a 4-hour miniseries, Battlestar Galactica, starring Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell.
It is a time of peace. Earth is a myth. Technology, a fearsome menace. More than 40 years after the armistice that ended the Cylon War, the human race suffers a sneak attack by a new breed of robots, indistinguishable from humans and more deadly than ever. As billions die on the 12 Colonies of Kobol, the last hope of humanity lies with the Battlestar Galactica, a recently decommissioned warship that has been turned into a flying museum, and with the courage and wisdom of Commander Adama (Edward James Olmos) and President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell). Without a home, without hope and facing extinction, these last remnants of humanity must rely on each other for survival as they evade their robotic pursuers.
Fans can set their sights on a fleet of Cylon raiders in the upcoming “Battlestar Galactica” videogame in stores this September for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment America and the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft. Set 40 years before the events of the series, the “Battlestar Galactica” video game puts players in the role of Ensign William Adama in his first assignment onboard the Galactica. Featuring spectacular cinematics that propel the player forward and epic space combat, the game allows players to fly up to five different fighters and engage in interstellar dogfights with the assembled forces of a Cylon battlegroup. As players progress through the game, they’ll be able to take command of up to three wingmen and unlock ever-more-powerful weapons to aid in their desperate struggle.