A Man Vanishes (MOC) in October
Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD release of Shohei Imamura’s A Man Vanishes as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 24th October 2011. Shōhei Imamura's legendary 1967 film, the first picture produced by Japan's countercultural Art Theatre Guild (ATG), is a pseudo-documentary long unavailable anywhere on home video.
In the film a middle-class salaryman has gone missing — possibly of his own accord — and a film crew has set out to assemble a record of the man and the events surrounding his disappearance. As the crew meticulously builds a cachet of interviews with the man's family and lovers, their subject and his motivations become progressively more elusive — until the impossibility of the endeavour seems to transform the very film itself.
A Man Vanishes [Ningen jōhatsu, or The Unexplained Disappearance of a Human Being] is a DVD only release with an RRP of £20.42. Features include:
- New high-definition restoration of the film (which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011)
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- Exclusive new video interview with scholar Tony Rayns
- More extras to be announced closer to the release date.
- PLUS: A lavish booklet featuring rare archival imagery, and more!