Masaki Kobayashi’s masterful ghost anthology arrives on the format in the UK for the first time
Eureka Entertainment are to release Kwaidan, Masaki Kobayashi’s ambitious anthology of Japanese ghost tales, on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, presented from a 2K digital restoration. Available April 27 as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in a Limited Edition Set of only 3000 copies, featuring a Hardbound Case and 100-page Collector’s Book.
Winner of the Special Jury Prize at Cannes, Kwaidan features four nightmarish tales adapted from Lafcadio Hearn’s classic Japanese ghost stories about mortals caught up in forces beyond their comprehension when the supernatural world intervenes in their lives: “The Black Hair”, “The Woman of the Snow”, “Hoichi the Earless”, and “In a Cup of Tea”.
Breathtakingly photographed entirely on hand-painted sets, the film is an abstract wash of luminescent colours from another world. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the complete 183-minute original Japanese cut of Masaki Kobayashi’s masterpiece on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.
- Hardbound Slipcase
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from Criterion’s 2K digital restoration of Kobayashi’s original director’s cut
- Original monaural Japanese soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles
- Kim Newman on “Kwaidan” – a new interview with the film critic and writer
- Shadowings [35 mins] – a new video essay by David Cairns and Fiona Watson
- Original trailers
- PLUS 100-PAGE Perfect Bound Illustrated Collector’s book featuring reprints of Lafcadio Hearn’s original ghost stories; a survey of the life and career of Masaki Kobayashi by Linda Hoaglund; and a wide ranging interview with the film maker – the last he’d ever give
It’s the end, but the moment has been prepared for…
Continue the conversation over on The Digital Fix Forum