The Deer Hunter gets a 4K restoration and re-release. Check out the trailer here.
The Deer Hunter, Michael Cimino's cinema classic that picked up five Academy Awards in 1978 has been remastered in pristine 4K in time for the film's 40th Anniversary. To celebrate the anniversary, the film is being re-released into cinemas on 4th July and then onto Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray. The two disc Blu-ray and four disc UHD Blu-ray releases will land on 20th August with a separate 4K release following on 15th October.
The two disc Blu-ray release packs in the following features:
- New Interview with critic and author David Thomson
- 1979 ITV South Bank Show Interview with Michael Cimino
- Intro by Mickey Rourke
- Realising the Deer Hunter - interview with Michael Cimino
- Shooting the Deer Hunter - interview with Vilmos Zsigmond
- Playing the Deer Hunter - interview with John Savage
- Michael Cimino Audio commentary
- Vilmos Zsigmond & journalist Bob Fisher audio commentary
- Deleted and extended scenes (incl. Russian Roulette)
The four disc Collectors Edition includes all of the above along with the 4K Blu-ray and soundtrack on CD as well as:
- A 64-page booklet which includes material written by Jay Glennie and adapted from his forthcoming numbered limited edition large format book ‘One Shot: The Making of The Deer Hunter’, a new essay from David Jenkins, Editor of Little White Lies and pages from the original 1978 press book
- A 72-page script of early incarnation of the script entitled ‘The Man Who Came to Play’ by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker
- 5 Artcards
The film also has a new poster to promote the re-release.
Winner of no less than five Academy Awards® in 1978 including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor for Christopher Walken, The Deer Hunter is widely acknowledged as one of cinema’s great masterpieces and contains some of the most memorable scenes in film history. With the film painting a sobering portrait of a small Pennsylvania steel town rocked by loss when three of its sons go off to fight in Vietnam, Cimino’s ambitious and daring vision is showcased in this bold and brilliant war classic – that, 40 years on, is even more striking than ever before.
When Michael (Robert De Niro), Steven (John Savage) and Nick (Christopher Walken) are captured by the Vietcong, they are forced to play Russian Roulette by their brutal captors, who make bets on their survival. The experience of capture leaves them with terrible physical and spiritual wounds, and when Michael returns to Saigon to fulfil an old promise to one of his friends, he makes an unexpected, horrific discovery.
Also featuring astonishing performances from Meryl Streep as the woman both Michael and Nick fall in love with, and John Cazale (The Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon) as their unhinged and insecure friend Stan.
For the 40th Anniversary restoration of The Deer Hunter, STUDIOCANAL went back to the original 35mm negative, which was scanned at 4K resolution in 16bit. The restoration was completed at Silver Salt in London, who created a restored 4K DCP and UHD version for the home entertainment release.