Warner announce "Giant" SE for July 28th
Warner Home Video
have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Giant for July 28th 2003 with a retail price of £19.99. This two-disc special edition DVD offers the following content...
- 1.66:1 Widescreen transfer
- Stereo sound
- English, English HOH, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Italian HOH, Dutch, Arabic, Bulgarian, Romanian
- Commentary with George Stevens Jr., screenwriter Ivan Moffat and critic Stephen Farber
- Introduction by director George Stevens
- Return to Giant documentary (55 mins)
- Memories of Giant documentary (50 mins)
- New York Premiere TV Special
- Hollywood Premiere Featurette
- Giant Stars are off to Texas
- Behind the Cameras "On Location in Mafia, Texas"
- Behind the Cameras "A Visit with Dimitri Tiomkin"
- Stills Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
Here is a look at the cover art and the text from the PR...
GIANT was nominated for 10 Academy Awards with Director George Stevens winning his second Oscar for this ambitious, grandly realised epic of the changing socio-economic (and physical) landscape of modern Texas, based on Edna Ferber's best-selling novel. Triple Academy Award winner Elizabeth Taylor (Butterfield 8, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf) stars alongside 4 time Golden Globe winner Rock Hudson (Oscar nominated for his role in Giant) and Golden Globe winner James Dean (Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden).
Living up to its title, everything in this picture is big, from the running time to the sprawling ranch location and the high-powered stars. Rock Hudson stars as the confident, stubborn young ranch baron Jordan 'Bick' Benedict, who woos and wins the hand of Southern belle Leslie Elizabeth Taylor, a seemingly demure young beauty who proves to be Bick's match after she settles into the family homestead. The film sees James Dean's final performance before his tragic death, as poor former ranch hand Jett Rink, who strikes oil and transforms himself into a flamboyant millionaire playboy earning a second posthumous Academy Award nomination.
The talented supporting cast includes Mercedes McCambridge as Bick's frustrated sister, put out by the new woman of the house and with Carroll Baker and Dennis Hopper as the Benedicts' rebellious children.