Luis Buñuel's Masterful 'Death In The Garden' Receiving Dual-format Release
As part of Eureka Entertainment's The Masters of Cinema Series, Luis Buñuel’s Death in the Garden will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray on 19 June 2017.
The Spanish auteur returned to the surrealist and political style of his earlier works after the more commercial Adventures of Robinson Crusoe,, this being the middle film in what has been described as his “revolutionary triptych”, a trilogy of films that “study in the morality and tactics of armed revolution against a right-wing dictatorship”.
Amid a revolution in a South American mining outpost, a band of fugitives—a roguish adventurer (Georges Marchal), a local hooker (Simone Signoret), a priest (Michel Piccoli), an aging diamond miner (Charles Vanel), and the miner's deaf-mute daughter (Michèle Girardon)—are forced to flee for their lives into the jungle. Starving, exhausted, and stripped of their old identities, they wander desperately lured by one deceptive promise of salvation after another.
Filmed in Eastmancolor, Death in the Garden is both a rousing adventure film, and a surrealist tour de force.
- 1080p presentation (on the Blu-ray)
- Uncompressed PCM soundtrack (on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles
- A new interview with Tony Rayns
- An interview with actor Michel Piccoli
- An interview with film scholar Victor Fuentes
- Masters of Cinema exclusive trailer
- A booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp, and archival imagery
Last updated: 21/07/2018 03:18:42