Diabolique and The Fisher King coming to Criterion UK Blu-ray in June
Criterion have announced their June UK release plans with feature packed editions of The Fisher King and Diabolique.
Diabolique5th June 2017
Before Psycho, Peeping Tom, and Repulsion, there was Diabolique. This thriller from Henri‑Georges Clouzot, which shocked audiences in Europe and the U.S., is the story of two women - the fragile wife and the willful mistress of the sadistic headmaster of a boys boarding school - who hatch a daring revenge plot. With its unprecedented narrative twists and terrifying images, Diabolique is a heart-grabbing benchmark in horror filmmaking, featuring outstanding performances by Simone Signoret, Véra Clouzot, and Paul Meurisse.
- New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Selected-scene commentary by French-film scholar Kelley Conway
- New video introduction by Serge Bromberg, codirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s "Inferno"
- New video interview with novelist and film critic Kim Newman
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty
The Fisher King19th June 2017
A fairy tale grounded in poignant reality, the magnificent, Manhattan-set The Fisher King, by Terry Gilliam, features Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams in two of their most brilliant roles. Bridges plays a former radio shock jock reconstructing his life after a scandal, and Williams is a homeless man on a quest for the Holy Grail - which he believes to be hidden somewhere on the Upper East Side. Unknowingly linked by their pasts, the two men aid each other on a fanciful journey to discovering their own humanity. This singular American odyssey features a witty script by Richard LaGravenese, evocative cinematography by Roger Pratt, and superb supporting performances by Amanda Plummer and an Oscar-winning Mercedes Ruehl, all harnessed by Gilliam into a compassionate, funny modern-day myth.
- New, restored 2K digital transfer, approved by director Terry Gilliam, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- Audio commentary featuring Gilliam
- New interviews with Gilliam, producer Lynda Obst, screenwriter Richard La Gravenese, and actors Jeff Bridges, Amanda Plummer, and Mercedes Ruehl
- New interviews with artists Keith Greco and Vincent Jefferds on the creation of the film’s Red Knight
- Interview from 2006 with actor Robin Williams
- New video essay featuring Bridges’s on-set photographs
- Footage from 1991 of Bridges training as a radio personality with acting coach Stephen Bridgewater
- Deleted scenes, with audio commentary by Gilliam
- Costume tests
- PLUS: An essay by critic Bilge Ebiri
Last updated: 30/05/2018 14:52:10