Criterion to release new editions of Solaris and The Life Of Oharu on UK Blu-ray
are to release new editions of Andrei Tarkovsky's celebrated Solaris and Kenji Mizoguchi's The Life Of Oharu on Blu-ray this April.
Solaris - 3rd April
Ground control has been receiving mysterious transmissions from the three remaining residents of the Solaris space station. When cosmonaut and psychologist Kris Kelvin is dispatched to investigate, he experiences the same strange phenomena that afflict the Solaris crew, sending him on a voyage into the darkest recesses of his consciousness. With Solaris, the legendary Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky created a brilliantly original science-fiction epic that challenges our conceptions about love, truth, and humanity itself.
New, high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• Audio commentary by Andrei Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie
• Nine deleted and alternate scenes
• Video interviews with actress Natalya Bondarchuk, cinematographer Vadim Yusov, art director Mikhail Romadin, and composter Eduard Artemyev
• Excerpt from a documentary about Stanislaw Lem, the author of the film’s source novel
• New subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Phillip Lopate and an appreciation by director Akira Kurosawa
The Live of Oharu - 24th April
A peerless chronicler of the soul who specialized in supremely emotional, visually exquisite films about the circumstances of women in Japanese society, Kenji Mizoguchi had already been directing movies for decades when he made The Life of Oharu in 1952. But this epic portrait of an inexorable fall from grace, starring the astounding Kinuyo Tanaka as an imperial lady-in- waiting who gradually descends to street prostitution, was the movie that gained the director international attention, ushering in a new golden period for him.
New, restored high-definition digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
• New audio commentary for the opening of the movie by film scholar Dudley Andrew
• Mizoguchi’s Art and the Demimonde, an illustrated audio essay featuring Andrew
• The Travels of Kinuyo Tanaka, a 2009 film by Koko Kajiyama documenting the actor’s 1949 goodwill tour of the United States
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Gilberto Perez