The Next Generation Streaming War Kicks Off as Roku Announce Their New Box
Roku were the leaders of the pack with the last generation of streaming devices having built up a strong lead over the likes of the Apple TV, Fire TV and Chromecast. However standing still won't help anyone and in recent months we've seen new iterations of all of the competition AND new contenders enter the arena such as the all-conquering NVidia Shield console.
Roku were at risk of falling behind, so its great timing for them to have announced their latest streamer, the 4K Roku 4.
The new device seems to go head to head with the NVidia shield in terms of headline specs in terms of actual streaming seeing as it supports 4K 60fps playback. It DOESN'T however offer the same gaming chops that the Shield but the latter IS being positioned as a full Android gaming console.
The Roku 4 features (these are the US details):
• Quad-Core processor, up to 60 fps 4K streaming, HDCP 2.2 and Optical Audio Out
• Sleek 1080p home screen and user interface
• 802.11ac MIMO Wi-Fi for optimal wireless
• Access to more streaming channels for 4K entertainment than any other streaming player with selections from Netflix, M-Go, Amazon Instant Video, ToonGoogles, Vudu and You Tube
• Curated 4K Spotlight channel exclusive to Roku 4 offers instant access to 4K movies, TV shows and more
• 4K UHD category within the Roku Channel Store to make finding streaming channels with 4K entertainment quick and easy
• Remote control with voice search, headphone jack for private listening, and Remote Finder
• Roku mobile app for Android and iOS offering full device control, personalized screensavers for the Roku 4 and soon, on-the-go access for following entertainment when away from home
In addition Roku are releasing their new OS - OS 7 - to ALL current generation Roku boxes too bringing many of the same searching bells and whistles that the Roku 4 will offer.
The Roku 4 arrives in the US soon and is up for pre-order at $129.99. International release dates and prices are not yet available and streaming services will vary by region - we very much doubt Amazon Instant Video will be arriving for UK users unfortunately.
Last updated: 06/08/2018 15:54:11