To Kill a Mockingbird 50th AE (US) in January
Universal Studios Home Entertainment have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition on 31st January 2012. The 1962 adaptation of adaptation of Harper Lee’s novel has been digitally remastered and fully restored from high resolution 35MM original film elements. This 50th AE release also boasts more than three-and-a-half hours of bonus features chronicling the making of the film, though it's worth noting that only a featurette on the restoration process and a U-Control PIP track is actually new.
Alongside 2-Disc DVD and Blu-ray Combo Pack versions Universal will also release a Limited Edition Collector’s Series Combo Pack that will include a Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy of the film, packaged in a hardcover book featuring exclusive movie memorabilia including script pages with Gregory Peck’s handwritten notes, storyboards, poster art and much more.
The regular DVD and Blu-ray editions omit the hardcover book but retain the on-disc extras which include:
- Fearful Symmetry— A feature-length documentary on the making of To Kill a Mockingbird with cast and crew interviews and a visit to author Harper Lee's home town.
- A Conversation with Gregory Peck— An intimate feature-length documentary on one of the most beloved actors in film history with interviews, film clips, home movies and more.
- 100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics— An in-depth look at the film restoration process
- Academy Award® Best Actor Acceptance Speech— Gregory Peck's speech after winning the Academy Award® for his performance as Atticus Finch.
- American Film Institute Life Achievement Award— Gregory Peck's memorable remarks upon receiving the AFI Life Achievement Award.
- Excerpt from “Tribute To Gregory Peck”— Cecilia Peck's heartwarming farewell to her father given at the Academy in celebration of his life.
- Scout Remembers— Actress Mary Badham shares her experiences working with Gregory Peck.
- Feature Commentary with Director Robert Mulligan and Producer Alan Pakula
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- BD Combo Pack Exclusives:
- Digital Copy
- U-Control: Scene Companion - viewers can watch interviews, see photos and more during key scenes with this picture-in-picture companion featuring narration by Gregory Peck’s Family
- BD-Live & pocket BLU app
Audio options are English 5.1 (DTS-HD MA on BD), English 2.0 Mono (DTS on BD) and French 2.0 Mono (DTS on BD). Subtitle options are English SDH, French and Spanish.