Silent Running (MOC) in November
Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK Blu-ray Disc release of Douglas Trumball’s Silent Running as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 14th November 2011. Three years after helping to achieve some of the most amazing imagery in cinema history with 2001: A Space Odyssey, special effects maestro Douglas Trumbull made an auspicious directorial debut at age 29 with the environmentally themed science fiction classic Silent Running.
In the distant future, plant life on our planet is extinct. Remaining specimens are cultivated in vast greenhouse-like domes orbiting in space. Bruce Dern (Marnie, Coming Home, The 'burbs, Monster) stars as Freeman Lowell, dedicated botanist aboard the "Valley Forge", awaiting the call to refoliate Earth – despite the scorn of his crewmates. When an order comes to instead destroy the domes and return home, Lowell takes matters into his own hands, beginning a long and lonely voyage into the unknown.
Available on Blu-ray in standard (£19.99 RRP) and Limited Edition Steelbook packaging (£29.99 RRP), features include:
- Exclusively restored beautiful high-definition 1080p transfer
- Full-length commentary by director Trumbull and actor Bruce Dern
- Isolated music and effects track
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- The Making of Silent Running, a 1972 on-set documentary [50:00]
- Two video pieces with Douglas Trumbull [31:00 + 5:00]
- A Conversation with Bruce Dern, a discussion with the actor [11:00]
- Original theatrical trailer [3:00]
- A lavish 48-page full-colour booklet featuring rare photographs and artwork from Trumbull’s personal collection, and recollections of the film’s cinematographer, special designs coordinator, and composer
The best prices for the standard edition can be found on your left.
The best price for the Steelbook appears to be Amazon who currently have it for just £12.93 - Link
- The new blu-ray edition of Silent Running will be screened at this year’s Cambridge Film Festival followed by a run at the ICA, London between 21 – 27 Oct . Please see box office for details
- Check out Eureka’s full line-up of releases here.