Arrow Academy Summer releases
Following their launch titles (see our reviews in the related content box on your left) Arrow Academy will continue with two DVD only releases this summer. Arriving on 4th July is Roberto Rossellini’s Il Generale Della Rovere and then on 8th August we can expect Vittorio De Sica’s The Garden of the Finzi Contini. More details follow…
Il Generale Della Rovere - Roberto Rossellini’s first box-office success after a string of commercial failures, notably with Ingrid Bergman was also a return to the themes of the films which brought him international fame, Rome, Open City and his other neorealist classics.
Based on an article by the Italian journalist Indro Montanelli, Rossellini casts Vittorio De Sica as confidence trickster Emanuele Bardone who helps to save Italians arrested by the Gestapo, or at least pretends to do so, in exchange for money or gifts from their family. When he attempts to save a man already executed he is turned over by the man’s wife and is given the choice of execution or carrying out a confidence trick for the Germans; to assume the identity of General Della Rovere. Turning on his country to save his skin Bardone enters prison to seek out the identity of the partisan commander, Fabrizio.
Arrow Academy is pleased to present Roberto Rossellini’s resistance story with Vittorio De Sica on DVD for the first time in the UK. Features include:
- Brand new transfer of the Venice Film Festival version of the film (1.33:1)
- New optional English subtitle translation
- Original Mono Audio
- Interviews with composer Renzo Rossellini and scholar Adriano Apra
- Comprehensive booklet featuring writing by Tag Gallagher (The Adventures of Roberto Rossellini: His Life and Films) and Peter Bondanella (The Films of Roberto Rossellini) as well a contemporary interview with director Roberto Rossellini.
The Garden of the Finzi Contini - The celebrated director of Bicycle Thieves and Shoeshine, Vittorio De Sica once again struck gold in 1970. After ten years of trying, he finally adapted Giorgio Bassani’s celebrated novel to great acclaim and an Oscar for Best Foreign Film.
Set at the outbreak of War, De Sica’s film tells the story of the Finzi-Continis, an aristocratic Jewish family protected by the walls of their idyllic estate. Whilst outside Mussolini bans Jews from tennis courts, the Finzi-Continis are not worried as they rally on their own, living in their dreamland. Giorgio (Lino Capolicchio) is the middle-class Jew in love with his childhood friend, Micol (Dominique Sanda) of the Finzi-Contini family, but she is in love with a gentile and wanting of experiences outlawed by the new government. With Giorgio’s separation of Micol, De Sica tracks the loss of an idyllic way of life, from the tennis courts to the waiting rooms where Jews await transportation to the concentration camps.
Arrow Academy presents Vittorio De Sica’s The Garden of the Finzi Contini on DVD for the first time in the UK. Features include:
- Brand new transfer and subtitle translation of the film on DVD in the UK for the first time
- 1.85:1 / Mono Audio
- Interview with star Lino Capolicchio
- Interview with screenwriter Ugo Pirro
- Interview with composer Manuel De Sica
- Original Trailer
- A comprehensive booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Italian cinema expert Christopher Wagstaff with new translations of screenwriter Ugo Pirro and composer Manuel De Sica’s comments on the making of the film as well as a contemporary interview with De Sica.
Last updated: 18/04/2018 12:06:59