Masters of Cinema in June
Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK Dual Format Edition (DVD & Blu-ray) release of two films as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 27th June 2011. They are…
Jean Epstein's Cœur fidèle [True Heart] established the great French filmmaker as one of the most inventive directors of the (then still silent) art form. A pared-down tale of a barmaid oppressed by an exploitative foster family who attempt to push her into the arms of an unscrupulous regular-about-town, Marie's heart (exuberantly vivified by Gina Marès) belongs, as far as she's concerned, to the tenderly blank Jean (Léon Mathot)...
- Beautiful new high-definition transfer of the film, officially licensed from Pathé. Presented in its original 1.37:1 aspect ratio, via a 1080p AVC encode on the Blu-ray, and now running at its true speed and length
- New score composed and performed by Maxence Cyrin
- Original French intertitles, with newly translated optional English subtitles
- A gallery of rare photography from Cinémathèque Française
- A 44-page booklet containing rare production photography, and writing about the film by Jean Epstein, Henri Langlois, René Clair, and more
Pigs and Battleships
With this, his fifth film, Shôhei Imamura finally answered his true calling as Japanese cinema's most dedicated and brilliant chronicler of society's underbelly with the astonishing Pigs and Battleships [Buta to gunkan]. A riotous portrait of sub-Yakuza gangsters battling for control of the local pork business in a U.S. Navy-occupied coastal town (Yokosuka), Imamura conjures a chaotic world of petty thugs, young love, tough-headed women, and underworld hypochondria, with one of the most unforgettable climaxes ever to grace the screen.
This Dual Format Edition is also a double feature, as it includes Imamura's 1958 rarely-seen debut feature, Stolen Desire [Nusumareta yokujô] commercially released with English subtitles for the first time ever in the West.
- Exclusively restored high-definition master from the original camera negative (1080p on Blu-ray)
- Stolen Desire [Nusumareta yokujô] (1958), Imamura's debut feature for Nikkatsu in a new high-definition transfer [93 minutes] (1080p on Blu-ray)
- Newly translated English subtitles for both films
- A booklet featuring essays on both films by Tony Rayns and rare stills
Last updated: 18/04/2018 12:37:03