Arrow Academy – New label launching in March
Arrow Video are launching a new label in March that looks to offer the best in world cinema. The first two titles - Vittorio De Sica’s Bicycle Thieves (available 28th March) and Henri-Georges Clouzot’s Les diaboliques (available 18th April) – are Blu-ray only.
More from the press release…
Arrow Academy is a new label celebrating the best in world cinema launching in March 2011.
As the once common repertory cinema dies off Arrow Academy aims to be your at-home repertory cinema, where you can make rich cinematic discoveries and enjoy films with optimal picture and audio presentation, brand new special features to contextualize and comment upon the film for that essential post screening discussion as well as a celebration of the art of the film poster with alternate poster designs, viewable through the front package ‘poster frame’.
Arrow Academy lovingly takes its name from one of the most famous repertory cinemas; the Academy 1-2-3 where many critics, writers, filmmakers and cineastes first discovered a new kind of cinema, which celebrated the cinema poster with new artwork designs by the famed Peter Strausfeld.
Arrow Academy launches with a line-up of some of the greatest works to grace the cinema screen, presented in brand new restorations, with new special features and artwork.
The first two titles in the range will be Vittorio De Sica’s timeless classic Bicycle Thieves and following in April Henri-Georges Clouzot’s masterful thriller Les diaboliques.
Bicycle Thieves (De Sica, 1948)
- Brand new restored, high definition transfer (1080p)
- Newly translated and more complete optional English subtitles
- Audio Commentary by Robert Gordon, Italian cinema expert and author of Bicycle Thieves (BFI Film Classics)
- ‘Cesare Zavattini’ a feature length documentary by director Carlo Lizzani on the great screenwriter, novelist, critic, long time De Sica collaborator and founder of Italian neorealism
- ‘Timeless Cinema’, a documentary portrait of director, actor and screenwriter Vittorio De Sica
- Original Trailer
- Booklet including brand new writing on the film and a reprint of Cesare Zavattini’s ‘Some Ideas on the Cinema’, illustrated with original Lobby Cards and stills
- Artwork presentation packaging including three original posters and a newly commissioned artwork cover
Available on Blu-ray only 28th March 2011 | Blu-ray region B | RRP £24.99
Les Diaboliques (Clouzot, 1955)
- Brand new High Definition transfer of the film from a new restoration of the original negative
- Audio commentary with Susan Hayward, author of Les diaboliques(Cine-file French Film Guides)
- Filmed interview with Ginette Vincendeau (28 mins), French cinema scholar, critic and author
- Original Trailer
- Booklet including brand new writing on the film by author and critic Brad Stevens and an interview with Clouzot by Paul Schrader illustrated with stills and rare original set drawings by Léon Barsacq.
- Artwork presentation packaging including original posters and a newly commissioned artwork cover
Available on Blu-ray only 18th April 2011 | Blu-ray region ABC | RRP £24.99