Psycho (UK/USA BD) in August/October
Universal Pictures International Entertainment have announced the UK Blu-ray Disc release of Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho on 2nd August 2010. The Blu-ray will then be released in France on 15th September, the USA on 19th October and out to all International territories throughout 2010.
Excerpts from the press release follow detailing the restoration and extras…
Meticulously restored for perfect digital picture and the purest DTS HD 5.1 digital sound, the Psycho 50th Anniversary Edition is packed with extras, including behind-the-scenes bonus features, documentaries, audio interviews and an in-depth look at the re-mastering process required for high definition viewing. Sound reigns supreme on the Blu-ray Hi-Def disc and fans can now experience the terror of Bernard Herrmann’s controversial string-only orchestra during some of the film’s most pivotal scenes like never before.
When Hermann was writing the score for Psycho, the now famous shower scene had no music behind it; seemingly Hitchcock thought the scene would have more impact in its silence. Bernard Hermann wrote the music for the scene but did not submit it to the Director. Instead, while they were scoring the film, he simply had the musicians play music live behind the projection. The effect was so powerful that Alfred Hitchcock was instantly convinced and that legendary piece of music went on to make motion picture history.
Universal Studios BluWave Audio (Universal's in-house post production sound facility) began the re-mastering process with the film’s previously preserved and restored soundtrack to create a 5.1 mix. BluWave then contracted Audionamix, a Paris-based audio technology company, to split the original mono music source into quasi-orchestral tracks. Audionamix, a leader in soundtrack separation, then applied their breakthrough proprietary technology enabling BluWave to create a discrete 5.1 split music mix. BluWave’s creative talent gathered the original sound effects from the Studios’ extensive effects library and, using these source materials, created a 5.1 up-mix to bring Psycho’s soundtrack up to the expectations of contemporary audiences while maintaining the original integrity of the filmmaker’s vision.
The full list of features:
- BD50 Dual Layer
- 1080P Widescreen
- US BD: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA; English Mono; English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
- UK BD: English 2.0 Mono & 5.1 DTS-HD MA; Italian, Spanish, French, German & Japanese Mono DD2.0; English SDH, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese (Traditional Mandarin) & Korean subtitles
- Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
- The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous “shower scene.”
- The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock’s most shocking film.
- In the Master’s Shadow – Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
- Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
- Audio Commentary: Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of “Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho”)
- Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
- The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
- Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
- The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
- Posters And Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
- Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
- Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.
Below we have the trailer which is followed by artwork for the UK standard, UK steelbook and US releases...
Last updated: 18/04/2018 16:08:46