Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (R2/UK BD) in March
BFI have announced the UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Saturday Night and Sunday Morning on 23rd March 2009. Based on the Alan Sillitoe’s largely autobiographical novel, this British New Wave film directed by Karel Reisz stars Albert Finney, Shirley Anne Field and Rachel Roberts. In the industrial streets and factories of Nottingham, Arthur Seaton (Albert Finney) spends his days at the factory bench, his evenings in the local pubs and his nights in the arms of Brenda, the wife of a fellow factory worker. Irresistibly handsome and brimming with animal vitality, Arthur is anti-authority and unashamedly amoral...
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is re-issued on DVD (£17.99 RRP) and released on Blu-ray (£22.99 RRP) in new High-Definition transfers, alongside The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Tony Richardson, 1962).
- Original aspect ratio 1.66:1
- Optional subtitles for the hearing impaired
- Commentary by film historian Robert Murphy, with writer Alan Sillitoe and cinematographer Freddie Francis
- New filmed interview with Shirley Anne Field (10mins)
- Audio interview with Albert Finney (4mins)
- We Are the Lambeth Boys (1959) – Karel Reisz’s classic Free Cinema documentary (50mins)
- Illustrated booklet containing essays and biographies
The Blu-ray Disc is coded for Region B and all extras are presented in HD (1080/24).