American Gangster (R1) in February
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of American Gangster on 19th February 2008. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe team with director Ridley Scott for this epic gangster story. Armed with ruthless, street-wise tactics and a strict sense of honour, crime boss Frank Lucas (Washington) rules Harlem's chaotic drug underworld. When outcast cop Richie Roberts (Crowe) sets out to bring down Lucas's multi-million dollar empire, it plunges both men into a legendary confrontation.
Available in 2-Disc ($29.98 SRP) and 3-Disc ($34.98 SRP) editions (the latter is "available for a limited time only"), features are detailed below…
2-Disc Edition - Includes both the Theatrical Cut (2hrs 38mins) and Unrated Extended Cut (2hrs 57mins) with an alternate ending on Disc 1 plus a second disc of bonus material…
Disc 1: Main Feature (Theatrical & Extended)
- 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- English DD5.1 Surround
- French DD5.1 Surround (Theatrical Cut only)
- English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
- Commentary with Director Ridley Scott and Writer Steven Zaillian (Theatrical Cut only)
Disc 2: Extra Features
- Deleted Scenes: "Alternate Opening" and "Frank and Eva's Wedding"
- Fallen Empire: Making American Gangster:
- Tru Blu: The Real Story: An in-depth look at the true story that inspired the movie and the long road to developing the film. Featuring interviews with the former real-life Harlem crime boss Frank Lucas and now retired detective Richie Roberts
- Killer Threads: A look at how the world of the 1970’s was brought back to life
- Crime War: Follow production from the streets of NY to the jungles of Thailand
- Rhythm of the Streets: Look into the film’s music, featuring tracks such as “Do You Feel Me” performed by Anthony Hamilton
- Into the Arena: Ali vs. Frazier: Setting up the infamous Ali-Frazier fight
- Case Files:
- Setting Up the Takedown- Be on the set as Ridley Scott directs the climactic drug bust and watch this master director at work
- Script Meeting: A look into the production office where director Ridley Scott, writer Steven Zaillian, and detective Richie Roberts discuss the script and break down of the scenes.
- Drug Test: Ridley Scott receives information on the preparation of heroin from a New York detective
3-Disc Collector’s Edition - As above plus a third disc of bonus features and special packaging, a 32-page collectible book and a downloadable digital copy of the unrated, extended film. This one is "available for a limited time only".
Disc 3: Extra Features
- Hip Hop Infusion- Featuring popular rap artists Common and Tip “T.I.” Harris discussing their roles
- Music Videos:
- Do You Feel Me (Remix) Performed by Anthony Hamilton featuring Ghostface Killah
- Blue Magic From Jay-Z’s album “American Gangster”
- BET Special- The Making of American Gangster
- Dateline NBC: American Gangster First Look
- Digital Copy of the Unrated Extended Movie For Your PC
The 3-Disc Collector’s Edition will also be available as part of Gangsters: The Ultimate Film Collection which is released the same day. This 9-Disc set includes American Gangster 3-Disc Collector’s Edition, Scarface Platinum Edition, Casino Anniversary Edition* and Carlito’s Way Ultimate Edition** in premium packaging which consists of 4 digipacks inside a highly collectible faux-velvet lined box. Retail is $69.98 SRP, and the set also includes the national booklet from the American Gangster 3-Disc Collector's Edition.
*Casino is now a 2-Disc release, instead of the original DVD18 format.
**Carlito's Way is now a 2-Disc release, instead of the original DVD14 format.
Last updated: 19/04/2018 00:33:42