20 Million Miles to Earth R1 SE in July
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of 20 Million Miles to Earth: 50th Anniversary Edition on 31st July 2007 priced at $24.95 SRP. Sony marks the half-century milestone of one of the earliest films by stop-motion animation genius Ray Harryhausen with this 50th Anniversary Edition of 20 Million Miles to Earth. The film, which depicts the destruction of Rome by a reptile from the planet Venus, was directed by Nathan Juran (The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, First Men ‘in’ the Moon) and stars William Hopper (The Bad Seed) and Joan Taylor (Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers). In addition to the pristine, digitally-restored black & white original, the classic film will now be available in a newly colourized version supervised by Harryhausen himself.
In a recent interview, Harryhausen said “I am thrilled that this film is finally being seen in colour. I had wanted to do the film in colour in the 1950s, but our budget was not large enough to accommodate that luxury. Now, thanks to the marvellous advances made in the colourization process by San Diego’s Legend Films and others, audiences will be able to see 20 Million Miles to Earth as I originally intended.”
The two-disc set also features extensive bonus features including commentary by Harryhausen and multiple featurettes.
- English Mono and English subtitles
- Audio Commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Other Visual Effects Specialists
- Remembering 20 Million Miles to Earth
- Tim Burton Sits Down with Ray Harryhausen
- The Joan Taylor Interview
- Mischa Bakaleinikoff: Film Music’s Unsung Hero
- A Video Discussion of 20 Million Miles to Earth’s 1957 marketing and advertising campaign by producer Arnold Kunert
- Still and Production Art Gallery
- Sneak Peek of Digital Comic Book 20 Million Miles More