Sam Peckinpah’s Legendary Westerns Collection (R2) in August
Warner Home Video have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Sam Peckinpah’s Legendary Westerns Collection for 14th August 2006. This set includes the recently released Two-Disc Special Edition of The Wild Bunch (details here), and three new-to-UK DVD films: Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid Two-Disc Special Edition, which features the acting debut of musical legend Bob Dylan (who composed the film’s score), and offers both the 1988 Turner Preview version of the film and a newly-edited 2005 version based on the director’s notes and insights from his colleagues. Also included in the Collection are The Ballad Of Cable Hogue and Ride The High Country.
Featuring William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan and Jason Robards, the Sam Peckinpah’s Legendary Westerns Collection will retail at £29.99 RRP. Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid Two Disc Special Edition will also be available individually for the first time in the UK priced at £15.99 RRP.
You can find Mike Sutton's coverage of the R1 Collection here.
Individual details on the new-to-UK DVD titles follow…
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (2-Disc Special Edition)
They are fast friends and worse foes. One is Billy the Kid (Kris Kristofferson), a law unto himself. The other is the law: Sheriff Pat Garrett (James Coburn), who once rode with Billy. Set to a bristling score by Bob Dylan (who also plays Billy’s sidekick Alias), Sam Peckinpah’s saga is one of the West’s great legends and is now restored to its intended glory. For the first time since it left the cutting room, the film has the balance of action and character development Peckinpah wanted, a mix of fury and elegy based on the director’s notes and the insights of colleagues.
Disc 1: 2005 Special Edition: (115 Mins.)
- Commentary by Special Edition Producer Nick Redman, Supervising Editor Paul Seydor and fellow Peckinpah biographers/documentarians Garner Simmons and David Weddle
- Peckinpah trailer gallery
Disc 2: 1988 Turner Preview Version: (122 Mins.)
- Commentary by Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
- 2 new featurettes:
- One Foot in the Groove: Remembering Sam Peckinpah and Other Things (28 mins)
- Deconstructing Pat and Billy (14 mins)
- One for the Money: Sam’s Song (5 mins)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue
After the violence of The Wild Bunch, director Sam Peckinpah shifted moods with this memorable fable -- less a tale of revenge than it is a lyrical, touching tribute to the last days of the West’s pioneering spirit. Jason Robards, Stella Stevens and David Warner lead an excellent supporting cast that also includes L.Q. Jones and Strother Martin as Hogue’s old enemies.
- Commentary by Peckinpah biographers/documentarians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
- New featurette: The Ladiest Damn’d Lady with Stella Stevens (27 mins)
- Peckinpah Trailer Gallery
Ride the High Country
Cowboy icons Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea find roles to match their leathery Western personas, playing aging lawmen hired to guard a gold shipment. They don’t have much: a horse each, a couple of dollars. And they have everything: their independence. But the frontier is disappearing – and so is space wide open enough for independent men. With luck, the two will find space enough for this ride and one last payday. Mariette Hartley and Warren Oates are featured.
- Commentary by Peckinpah documentarians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle
- New documentary: A Justified Life: Sam Peckinpah and the Hogue Country (23 mins)
- Peckinpah trailer gallery
Last updated: 19/04/2018 05:15:15