The Valerio Zurlini Box Set in May
NoShame Films have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Valerio Zurlini Box Set: The Early Masterpieces for 30th May 2006 priced at $29.95 SRP. With the January release of The Desert Of The Tartars, NoShame Films gave the U.S. the first Valerio Zurlini film on DVD and the response from critics and fans was overwhelming. DESERT received some of the best reviews for any NoShame release thus far and sparked a wave of interest in Zurlini as a forgotten master of Italian cinema. So this May, NoShame Films brings two more masterworks from Valerio Zurlini with the deluxe 2-DVD collector’s edition The Valerio Zurlini Box Set: The Early Masterpieces featuring the films Violent Summer and Girl With A Suicide.
War-torn Italy is the setting for Violent Summer. In the final days of Mussolini’s reign, Carlo (Jean-Louis Trintignant of The Desert Of The Tartars and The Conformist), the hedonistic son of a high-ranking Fascist (Enrico Maria Salerno, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage) falls in love with a Navy officer’s widow (Eleonora Rossi Drago of Camille 2000). Fleeing the wrath of the Anti-Fascists for the safety of Southern Italy, the lovers are stranded by the masses of the dead and dying and must confront for the first time the horrors of war previously kept from them by a life of privilege.
In Girl With A Suitcase, 16-year-old Lorenzo (The Desert Of The Tartars’ Jacques Perrin) falls in love with cabaret singer Aida (Claudia Cardinale of The Leopard and Once Upon A Time In The West), spurned by his playboy brother Marcello (Corrado Pani of Secrets of a Call GirlL). Secreting the sensuous Aida in a hotel and going into debt to feed and clothe her, Lorenzo can only stand by as Aida attracts a stream of new suitors and learns the hard truth that sometimes pure love is not enough.
NoShame’s DVD for Girl With A Suitcase represents the first official U.S. DVD release of this classic film. It is presented here in a fully restored and remastered edition with 7 minutes of additional footage never before seen in the U.S.
Disc 1: Violent Summer
- 1.33:1 Full Frame
- Italian with optional English subtitles
- Introduction by assistant director Florestano Vancini
- How Do You Light the Night? – Interview with assistant director Florestano Vancini (36 min)
- I Dreamed of Valerio – Interview with lyricist Riccardo Pazzaglia (22 min)
- He Was A Friend of Mine – Interview with actress Eleonora Giorgi (7 min)
- A Director With the Eyes of A Child - Interview with director Giuliano Montaldo (Sacco and Vanzetti) (18 min)
- Poster and Still Gallery
Disc 2: Girl With A Suitcase
- 1.66:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- Italian with optional English and French subtitles
- ntroduction by assistant director Piero Schivazappa
- Visconti came to visit us on the set - Interview with assistant director Piero Schivazappa
- Valerio was always in love with some girl! - Interview with screenwriter Piero De Bernardi
- Zurlini the Outsider - Interview with Bruno Torri (president of SNCCI Italian Film Critics Guild)
- When We Were Young - Interview with producer Mario Gallo (The Desert of the Tartars)
- The Restoration of Girl With A Suitcase
- Poster and Still Gallery
The set also includes a collectible booklet with Liner Notes, Valerio Zurlini bio, Jean-Louis Trintignant bio, Claudia Cardinale bio, Jacques Perrin bio, Mario Nascimbene bio, Mario Serandrei bio.