Warner Home Video honours the legend of Robin Hood in January
Warner Home Video have announced two new double-disc Robin Hood special edition releases for 26th January 2004 with a retail price of £19.99 each. The classic Academy-Award® winning The Adventures of Robin Hood stars one of Warner Bros.' most famous leading men: Errol Flynn. And bringing the interpretation into the 1990's, Kevin Costner leads the charge in Nottingham as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (Extended Version).
The full details for both releases are:
The Adventures of Robin Hood - The ultimate swashbuckler film starring the dashing Errol Flynn in his most famous role is presented for the first time ever on DVD. This lavish, fast-paced version of the Robin Hood legend won three Academy Awards® (Best Film Editing, Interior Decoration and Original Score). Doing many stunts himself, Flynn is at his athletic, romantic best in a role originally intended for James Cagney. Olivia de Havilland (Maid Marian), as well as consummate screen villains Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains round out the all-star cast.
- 1.33:1 Full Screen *See notes following cover art on restoration
- English Mono
- English subtitles
- Feature length commentary by author and film historian Rudy Behlmer
- Music-only audio track showcasing the Oscar®-winning score
- "Warner Bros.' Night at the Movies 1938," introduced by Leonard Maltin, includes:
- Angels with Dirty Faces Theatrical Trailer
- Vintage Newsreel
- Vintage Warner Bros. Musical short subject, "Freddie Rich and His Orchestra"
- Vintage Warner Bros. cartoon, "Katnip Kollege"
- "Glorious Technicolor" Angela Lansbury narrates this hour-long celebration of this legendary color filmmaking process
- All-new 65th Anniversary documentary, "Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of The Adventures of Robin Hood"
- Looney Tunes classic cartoons:
- Rabbit Hood
- Robin Hood Daffy
- Vintage Warner short subjects:
- Cavalcade of Archery (1945)
- The Cruise of the Zaca (1952) with Errol Flynn
- "Robin Hood Through the Ages" a look at Robin Hood's earlier screen adaptations
- "A Journey to Sherwood Forest" home movies and behind-the-scenes footage
- From the Cutting Room
- "Breakdowns of 1938" Warner Bros. studio blooper reel
- Splitting the Arrow Galleries: Historical Art, Costume Designs, Scene Concept Drawings, Cast & Crew Photos, Publicity & Poster Materials
- 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
- 148 minutes
- English DD5.1 Surround
- English subtitles
- Robin Hood Prince of Thieves - includes 12 minutes of never-before-seen footage
- Commentary by Kevin Costner and director Kevin Reynolds
- Commentary by Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater and Writers/Producers Pen Densham and John Watson and Composer Michael Kamen
- Featurette: 'Robin Hood: The Man The Myth, The legend' hosted by Pierce Brosnan
- Interviews with the cast
- Bryan Adams - Live at Slane Castle music video 'Everything I Do (I Do It For You)'
- Photo Gallery
*The Ultra-Resolution Process
The Adventures of Robin Hood will be presented in Warner Bros.' dazzling new "Ultra-Resolution," which allows today's viewers to see parts of the images which were never visible before and sharper detail than in conventional Technicolor release prints.
WHV first used this process for Singin' in the Rain; and Ned Price, Warner Bros.' Vice President of Mastering, Technical Operations, says "'Ultra-Resolution' has been improved for The Adventures of Robin Hood. As good as Singin' in the Rain turned out," Price said, "…Robin Hood takes us one step further."
65 years later, Warner Bros. is employing a process which begins with scanning the original Technicolor 3-strip black and white 'records' at extremely high (2k) resolution. The black and white records are then combined electronically to create the color images, which are also electronically re-registered, steadied and cleaned before the final DVDs are produced.
Last updated: 19/04/2018 15:11:34