The Outsiders 2-Disc SE in September - Artwork added
Warner Home Video
have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Outsiders - The Complete Novel for 20th September 2005 priced at $26.99 SRP. Francis Ford Coppola’s 1983 film adaptation of the renowned S.E. Hinton best seller arrives on DVD via a restored two-disc set.
Coppola has added 22 minutes to The Outsiders, including a new beginning and an ending which is more true to the book and enriches the characters’ relationships.
Said Coppola, “The Outsiders is a teenage epic, beloved by so many young people -- junior high school students especially -- and it’s often their first important experience with literature. It’s always bothered me that, in the rush to distribution, so much of the novel was edited out. Once, after showing the original version to my granddaughter's high school class, where so many kids asked 'but what about the other parts of the story?’ -- I resolved I would restore it to be the complete novel. I just felt the film would be better if it played much longer. Warner Bros. agreed with this thought, and we both became excited to bring the entire story to the screen.”
Coppola has also added a brand new rock ‘n’ roll soundtrack with six songs from Elvis Presley and from Van Morrison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, The Marketts, Sandy Nelson and others. “I had always hoped the film could have an all Elvis Presley score,” noted Coppola, “which turned out not to be possible at the time. Now we have reconceived the score, based on what these characters would be listening to, while still retaining the movie’s great original song, ‘Stay Gold’ by Carmine Coppola and Stevie Wonder.”
The impressive array of young actors who starred in The Outsiders include C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise and Leif Garrett. “So many of the young and talented cast have gone on to great success that I think the new length will be that much more fascinating to audiences,” Coppola added.
The Outsiders - The Complete Novel will be in widescreen and will be filled with previously unavailable bonus content, including new commentaries by the director and several of the actors; three new documentaries, three featurettes, deleted scenes and more...
Disc 1: The Movie
- All-New Digital Transfer from Restored Picture Elements
- All-New Soundtrack Score Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
- “Watch The Outsiders - The Complete Novel with Francis Ford Coppola
- New Introduction and audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
- "Watch The Outsiders - The Complete Novel with the Greasers and a Soc”
- New Introduction and Commentary by C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze
- Languages: English
- Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (Feature Film Only)
Disc 2: Special Features
- “Staying Gold”- A look back at The Outsiders
- “S.E. Hinton on Location in Tulsa”
- “The Casting of The Outsiders” - Features producer Fred Roos
- “Readings” - Seven cast members do readings of Hinton’s descriptions of the characters they played
- Deleted Scenes
- “The Outsiders Started by Student Petition” - Filmed segment from NBC’s The Today Show featuring librarian Jo Ellen Misakian and many of the students from the Lone Star school, plus coverage of a special Fresno student screening attended by some of the film’s cast
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- New 2005 Trailer