Francesco giullare di Dio (Masters of Cinema Series) in May
Eureka Video have announced the UK DVD release of Roberto Rossellini's Francesco giullare di Dio as part of their Masters of Cinema range for 23rd May 2005 priced at £19.99. Roberto Rossellini and co-writer Federico Fellini lovingly render the very spirit of Franciscan teaching in this extraordinarily fresh and simple film which was unappreciated at the time of its release, but now regarded as one of his greatest. Shot in a neorealist manner with non-professional actors (including thirteen real Franciscan monks from the convent of Nocere Inferiore) it avoids the pious clichés of haloed movie saints with an economy of expression and a touching, human quality.
Never properly released theatrically nor on home video in the UK, The Masters of Cinema Series proudly presents Francesco giullare di Dio in its fully restored glory. This is the original Italian version reaffirming intertitles and scenes removed from the US release version "The Flowers of St. Francis".
- Newly restored transfer of the complete Italian version
- A written appreciation of the film by Martin Scorsese
- A video introduction by critic Maurizio Porro
- New English subtitle translation
- Original restored Italian chapter intertitles
- The non-Rossellini Giotto prologue added for the original US release
- The only remaining images from a deleted scene
- Restoration documentary with Enzo Verzini and restoration demonstration
- 32-page booklet with: a complete version history; an evaluation of the film's critical reception; a new essay on the life and history of 'San Francesco'; Martin Scorsese's specially written appreciation; a message about the film by Roberto Rossellini; rare colour promotional photographs; and a reprinted chapter from the Fioretti di San Francesco
Artwork and grabs from the disc follow...
Last updated: 14/07/2018 16:58:07