Lord of the Rings Special Extended Edition updates
While I am sure that many of you already know the details for the forthcoming release of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Special Extended Edition, we have never actually reported the specs here at DVDTimes and thought it was about time we did!
Receiving a R1, R2 and R4 release on November 12th 2002 is the Special Extended Edition of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. An additional 30-minutes of footage is present in an all new cut of the film that will be presented in a four disc set that contains the following features...
DISCS 1-2: The Feature
FEATURE (approx. 208 minutes) - Unique version of the epic adventure with over 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film and new music scored by Academy Award®-winning composer Howard Shore:
- Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
- Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
- DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
- Stereo Surround Sound
- Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook…and many more
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring:
DISC 3 - "From Book to Vision"
- Adapting the book into a screenplay & planning the film
- Designing and building Middle-earth
- Storyboards to pre-visualization
- Weta Workshop visit - An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film
- Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship
- An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process
- Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists
- Guided tour of the wardrobe department
- Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards and pre-visualization reels
- And much more!
- Bringing the characters to life
- A day in the life of a hobbit
- Principal photography: Stories from the set
- Scale: Creating the illusion of size
- Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos
- Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions
- Sound design demonstration
- And much more!
This four disc set will be more or less identical across the various regions barring the obvious PAL/NTSC differences. Something that prompted us to write this news story though is the recent BBFC decision that has led to the UK R2 release having 1 minute 16 seconds cut from the Extra Features (NOT the film).
The official statement from the BBFC...
"To obtain this category cuts of 1m 16s were required. The cuts were Cuts for Category.
Company chose to cut strong language, audible or visible over the bleeps, and accompanying sexual references, for PG. A 12 uncut was available to the distributor."
The full details can be found here.
Here is a look at the packaging for this release that again should be more or less the same across the regions though this is specifically from the Region 1 DVD release.
The Retail Prices for this set are $39.99 (Region 1), £29.99 (Region 2), and $79.95 (Region 4).
Also due for release on the 12th November across Region 1, 2 and 4 is a Collectors Gift Set that contains the "Special Extended Edition" with box art packaging conceived and designed by famed Tolkien illustrator Alan Lee. You will also find...
- Collectible Argonath polystone figures/bookends created by Sideshow Weta
- Exclusive Decipher trading cards
The Region 1 and 4 releases will also include a 5th Disc which is a new version of the National Geographic DVD, Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings, with additional footage and photo gallery. Again, this 5th disc is NOT included with the Region 2 release.
Here is a look at the artwork for this release that again, should be more or less the same across the regions, though there is an obvious difference given the number of discs included.
The Retail Prices for this set are $79.99 (Region 1), £44.99 (Region 2), and $178.95 (Region 4)
Another reason for this news story is to let our readers know that the official Lord of the Rings website has begun to list the new and extended scenes present on this new cut of the movie.
Finally we must stress that all artwork in this story is subject to change.