New Hardware from Pioneer: The DV-656A
Available from Pioneer in stores now is the new 'universal' Pioneer DV-656A DVD Player. Voted 'DVD player of the Year' by the What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision Awards 2002 this player has several special features, the most significant being the 'universal' playback of DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD software. The following press release explains all...
Pioneer GB Ltd announces a new DVD player, model DV-656A compatible with DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and SACD. A truly 'universal' player, the DV-656A can play CD-R and CD-RW discs (including MP3 music files) - like all Pioneer DVD players it's compatible with DVD-R and DVD-RW discs recorded in the DVD-Video format ('Video' Mode). The DV-656A sports the "RW COMPATIBLE" logo on the front panel, indicating that it is also able to play DVD-RW discs recorded in the Video Recording format ('VR' Mode). While the DV-656A is Pioneer's fifth DVD player to be compatible with VR Mode recordings on DVD-RW discs, this highly advanced new model is the first player that is fully compliant with future CPRM recordings - See footnote*.
John Bamford of Pioneer GB Ltd. Home Entertainment & Multimedia Division comments, "Last Christmas we created a sensation with the introduction of the DV-747A, the world's first DVD player capable of playing both of the new high-resolution multi-channel audio formats: DVD-Audio and Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD). DV-747A is a luxurious model for audio and video enthusiasts demanding high quality regardless of price, whereas this new DV-656A fulfils Pioneer's objective of making cutting-edge digital technology available to a wider audience at a more affordable price. We are delighted to win the DVD player of the Year Award at What Hi-Fi's Sound and Vision Awards 2002."
While the new DV-656A is significantly more affordable than the 'flagship' DV-747A and consequently is based on a less elaborate chassis, no compromises have been made in order to ensure excellent video and audio performance for high quality stereo and multi-channel entertainment systems. A component video output is included in addition to twin Euro-SCARTs (in/out) with RGB, while Burr-Brown DACs compatible with DSD and PCM up to 192kHz/24-bit have been employed to deliver excellent SACD and DVD-Audio playback quality. Indeed, the DACs used for the front left and right channels are the high regarded PCM1738s, employed in several high-end CD players due to their exceptional musicality.
Bass Management for DVD-Audio is also featured in the DV-656A, ensuring full compatibility with multi-channel home cinema systems that employ small satellite speakers and a subwoofer, while the video circuits can be switched off for pure audio playback.
Like Pioneer's new entry-level DV-350 and DV-454 DVD-Video players introduced in European countries in June/July this year, the DV-656A features a new high-quality Graphical User Interface (GUI) which includes an easy-to-use 'portal menu' structure and Setup Navigator, making installation and operation more intuitive and straightforward than ever before. Pioneer's innovative on-screen Disc Navigator has been enhanced in this year's models to include all CDs, and DVD-Videos.
- Unique 'Universal' playback Compatible with DVD-Audio/SACD/SACDMulti-channel/DVD-Video/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CD-RW/CD-DA/VideoCD/MP3
- RW Compatible Plays DVD-R/RW discs in Video Mode and "Video Recording" (VR) Mode with CPRM compatibility
- CD-R/RW compatible including MP3. Unfinalised CD-DA recordings can also be played, although time display and scan/skip functionality is limited due to absence of TOC
- 192kHz/24-bit DACs
- SACD 2-channel and SACD multi-channel playback
- 5.1 channel DVD-Audio and SACD output
- DVD-Audio Bass Management
- Built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder
- Video Off and FL Dimmer/Off for highest quality pure audio playback
- New GUI Resolution increased from 360 x 240 dot (previous models) to 720 x 576 dot
- Picture Zoom x 2 and x 4 zoom (still image)
- Virtual Dolby Digital
- Slim design component model available in silver (DV-656A-S) or black (DV-656A-K)
- Wide range of Terminals:
- 2 Euro-SCARTs (in/out)
- 1 Component video output (Y'Pb'Pr')
- 6 channel audio output
- 2 audio outputs
- 1 optical and 1 coaxial digital output
- 2 composite video outputs
- 2 S-Video outputs
- SR (System Remote) terminal: in/out
- 2 Euro-SCARTs (in/out)