New hardware from Denon - The DVD-900 and AVR-1803
Denon have sent us through the details on what they are dubbing their 'most affordable DVD Player yet'. The Denon DVD-900 is a machine offering simple, but high quality playback thanks to its high end DACs and something that is still quite a rarity in the market, a 2mb Memory Buffer to ensure smooth playback over the layer changes on your movies. The following press release explains just what this player has to offer at its retail price of £249.95...
- Denon’s most affordable DVD Player yet
- 12-bit 54MHz high-end Video DACs
- 24-bit 192kHz high resolution Audio DACs
- High performance on music from CD & DVD
- Available in Black or Gold
- Available September
Denon DVD-900 DVD Player £249.95
The DVD-900 is a slim (75mm high) compact DVD player, that is an elegant match for the AVR-1603 and 1803 Home Cinema receivers. Not everyone wants a cheap DVD player and Denon offers the ideal starting point for the quality conscious customer, with exemplary build quality, a solid aluminium fascia, high-tech, high-spec components and above average performance. The DVD-900 uses advanced 12-bit / 54MHz Video Dacs for superb picture quality. For audio DVD-900 is equipped with a 24-bit / 192kHz, high-bit, high-sampling rate DAC giving a powerful dynamic range and excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The total audio circuit design is based on technology from Denon’s hi-fi CD players giving superior results from CD.
- 12-bit / 54MHz high-end Video DACs
- High-quality Aluminum Front Panel
- 24-bit / 192kHz High Resolution Audio D/A Converters
- 24/96 PCM Digital Output Capability
- DVD-R, CD-R/RW Playback
- MP3 CD-R/CD-RW Playback
- DTS, PCM and Dolby Digital datastream output
- SRS TruSurround
- Picture Zooming (x2 or x4)
- Aspect Ratio Function
- On-screen Displays
- Auto Power OFF
- 4-Arrow Keys on the Front Panel. A system keypad is provided on the front panel as well as on the remote control unit. This is convenient for making menu and setup adjustments directly on the main unit when the remote controller is out of reach.
- 2 MB Buffer Memory ensures that both picture and sound are played without interruption when the DVD disc shifts from layer 1 to layer 2, or in the rare event of a pickup dropout.
- A Wealth of Playback Functions, including Resume Play, for returning to the Pause position on the disc after the
playback was restarted; Slow Play; Repeat Play (A-B, Chapter, Track, Disc); Random Play, and Program Play.
- Audio Outputs Analog Ouput (L/R): 2.0 Vrms Optical Digital Output Coaxial Digital Output
- Video Outputs RGB on SCART. Composite. S-Video
- New slimline remote handset
We have also received the details on a new 6.1 receiver from Denon that offers a wealth of features at an affordable price. The following press release reveals all...
- New affordable 6.1 Receiver
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1. Dolby EX and Dolby Pro Logic II
- 80/110 watt power amps on each of 6 channels
- Sounds better and does more than the 1802
- Superior perfomance on music in stereo or surround
- Available in Black or Gold
At a highly competitive price, the AVR-1803 features 24 bit DSP digital decoding and Six Matched 80/110 watt amplifier channels with high current output devices. Upgraded digital circuits and a host of other subtle improvements deliver markedly improved the sound quality. The 1803 combines great value with tremendous performance and the benefits of six channel surround with DTS-ES 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX are easy to hear.
Dolby ProLogic II delivers realistic 5.1 channel sound from 2 channel stereo sources such as Nicam TV and VHS tapes.
DTS Neo:6 has similar capabilities for up to 6.1 channels and will also generate a sixth rear channel from 5.1 sources.
5/6 Channel Stereo uses all five or six speakers to reproduce unprocessed stereo with the centre channel as a L/R blend. Multi Zone Output can deliver different sources to more than one room. Over 45 analog, digital, video & audio inputs & outputs cater for the most complex Home Cinema system.
- 6-Channel Wideband Inputs for the DVD-Audio or SACD future (10 Hz - 100 kHz; +0dB -3dB)
- A high-quality 24-bit fixed point DSP processor has been used in the DSP processor, giving the the AVR-1803 higher performance than other models in this class in its ability to accurately decode and reproduce soundtracks
- Six Discrete Amps deliver full bandwidth power. The 1st spec is real, the 2nd is used by some recent competitors
6 x 80 watts rms (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.05 % THD) 6 x 110 watt rms (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7 % THD)
- A hefty power transformer and matching capacitors deliver strong dynamics while high-power custom transistors ensure consistent signal stability
- 2 PRE OUT terminals for the Surround Back channels, allow 7.1-channel Surround, with a second power amplifier
- 96 kHz 24-bit Audio DACS are used on all channels
- All formats inc; DTS-ES Discrete 6.1. DTS-ES Matrix 6.1. DTS-ES NEO:6. Dolby Digital with EX. Dolby ProLogic II
- Adjustable Subwoofer crossover switching with a choice of three frequencies: 80Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz
- Component Video terminals & switch, up to 2 sources.
- Video Select Switch.
- All-channel Level Control
- Personal Memory Plus hold surround sound settings for each source in memory for automatic recall
- High quality radio tuner with RDS & RDS EON 40-station AM/FM Random Preset Memory Tuning