Gone With The Wind 4 Disc CE in November
The Greatest Motion Picture of All Time is
Now the DVD Event of the Year!
Warner Home Video have reason to make such bold claims, having just announced the Region 1 DVD release of Gone with the Wind Four Disc Collector’s Edition for 9th November 2004 priced at $39.92 SRP. One of the greatest movie classics has been stunningly restored on DVD with Warner’s patent-pending “Ultra-Resolution” technology, complete with two discs of outstanding features including rare screen and costume tests in “The Making of a Legend” documentary, star profiles and an exclusive new in-depth documentary with star Olivia de Havilland.
Each Gone with the Wind Four Disc Collector’s Edition DVD will include a stunning full-colour reproduction of the original 22-page souvenir booklet that was sold during premiere road-show engagements from 1939 through 1941.
The movie features a remastered soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1 and extensive bonus content, all new to DVD and featured on two of the four discs. Highlights of the bonus material include the all-new 45-minute documentary, Melanie Remembers: Olivia de Havilland Recalls Gone with the Wind and the critically-acclaimed 1989 documentary The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind, produced by L. Jeffrey and Daniel Mayer Selznick, the sons of GWTW’s legendary producer. In addition, 1939 Atlanta Premiere footage as well as footage from the 1961 Civil War Centennial re-premiere in Atlanta with Selznick, Leigh and de Havilland; a 66 minute documentary on Clark Gable; and a 45 minute documentary on Vivien Leigh will also be included.
Warner’s “Ultra-Resolution” process -- which allows today’s viewers to see parts of the images which were never visible before and contains much sharper detail than in conventional Technicolor release prints -- has been used for three other major WHV releases -- Singin’ in the Rain, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Meet Me in St. Louis.
Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard and Ms. de Havilland star in Gone with the Wind, which for more than a half century has thrilled audiences with its eternal love affair -- set in the South against the backdrop of the Civil War -- between handsome Rhett Butler (Gable) and his sassy, headstrong heroine Scarlett O’Hara (Leigh). With each new generation, Gone with the Wind continues to grow in popularity as new audiences discover and embrace the David O. Selznick production of Margaret Mitchell’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.
Ms. de Havilland earned her first Academy Award® nomination for her performance as the sweet Melanie Hamilton. During her illustrious career, she captured four more Oscar nominations, winning two statuettes (for To Each His Own and The Heiress). Ms. de Havilland currently enjoys a quiet retirement in Paris, France.
DVD special features include more than five hours of bonus content, all new to DVD:
Discs 1 and 2 (the film)
- Commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer
- 5.1 Dolby Digital Soundtrack
- Original Mono Soundtrack
- The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind the acclaimed 1989 documentary made by Selznick’s sons and narrated by Christopher Plummer [125 Minutes, Never-before-available on DVD]
- Restoring a Legend - An in-depth look at the restoration and Ultra-Resolution process utilized by Warner Bros. for this new DVD presentation
- Footage from 1939 Atlanta and 1961 Civil War Centennial Atlanta premieres
- Dixie Hails Gone With the Wind [1939 premiere newsreel]
- Atlanta Civil War Centennial [1961 premiere newsreel]
- The Old South
- Fred Zinnemann directed this historical 1940 theatrical short, which was shown by MGM in theaters prior to the release of Gone With the Wind
- International prologue
- Foreign-language version sample scenes
- Trailer gallery
- Melanie Remembers: Olivia de Havilland Recalls Gone with the Wind - All-new documentary produced especially for this new DVD set, features Ms. de Havilland’s personal recollections on the film
- Clark Gable: A King Remembered – A portrait of the legendary actor’s long and distinguished career as M-G-M’s most famous leading man
- Vivien Leigh: Scarlet and Beyond hosted by Jessica Lange, this is an insightful look at Leigh’s short and troubled life
- Mini documentaries covering lives and careers of most prominent cast members
Last updated: 01/06/2018 18:23:04