D-Day in Colour on 7th June
Warner Vision have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of D-Day In Colour for 7th June 2004 with a retail price of £17.99. Narrated by John Hurt (Alien, The Alan Clarke Diaries) and produced by the BAFTA award-winning team who made Britain At War In Colour, this addition to the In Colour collection is an informative account of the events and experiences of the sea-borne invasion that was the beginning of the end of the Second World War.
The 6th June this year will mark the 60th Anniversary of D-Day, one of the bravest military missions in history. As a tribute to the heroes who risked their lives to liberate the western world, D-Day In Colour will be shown on ITV for the first time. To compliment the programme, D-Day In Colour will be released on DVD the following day with exclusive extras:
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (except diary extracts, in stereo)
- English subtitles
- The Overlord Experience – Veterans reflect on the experience of the day
- Media & War – Depicts the relationship between the media and those in battle and illustrates the challenges journalists face to ensure history is recorded
- D-Day’s First Battle – Extraordinary footage showing the role of airborne troops in Normandy
- Interactive Graphic Maps of the Normandy Landings – Illustrates where the Allies first landed in Normandy and how they progressed to liberate Paris. There are two operations showing:
1. Armies and Battalions. 2. Allied Progress
- Extra Diaries
- Biographies of key D-Day personnel
- Timeline of events
D-Day. 6th June 1944. At dawn, British, Canadians and Americans land on Gold, Juno, Sword and Utah beaches on the northern shores of France. The events of that day, and those leading up to it, were some of the most harrowing in the Second World War, both for the soldiers involved in the landings and the agony of the families waiting at home for word of their loved ones.
Using letters, diaries and original colour film, D-Day In Colour tells an intimate and first hand account of both the triumphs and the tragedies of these arduous months and crucial hours that shaped the future peace of the civilized world.
The DVD and VHS will be released with special value added material including an exclusive interview with two D-Day veterans who reflect on the experiences of the day. Plus comments from Dr. Stephen Badsey on the extraordinary lengths that journalists go to record war events, as well as biographies, extra diaries, timelines and more.
D-Day In Colour presents live footage of key events and experiences surrounding the D-Day landings. The programme includes the following: