Hellboy II: The Golden Army (US BD) in November
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc release of Hellboy II: The Golden Army on 18th November 2008. Directed by Guillermo del Toro, this comic-book sequel is based on characters created by Mike Mignola for Dark Horse Comics. Ron Perlman stars as the titular Hellboy with support from Selma Blair, Doug Jones, Jeffrey Tambor, and Luke Goss as the renegade elvish prince.
For a limited time only*, the film will be available as a 2-Disc Special Edition ($39.98 SRP) with 3-D packaging featuring a digital copy of the film and hours of bonus features. Also available is a Limited Edition Collector’s Set ($69.98 SRP) featuring all of the bonus features of the 3-disc special edition plus a collectible Golden Army statuette, limited edition poster, director's production journal and certificate of authenticity.
*The wording in the press release suggests the 2-Disc Blu-ray is limited in quantity, though we believe it’s possible it may just the 3-D packaging that is limited. If not, it seems likely Universal might dump the digital copy and sell a single-disc edition further down the line.
The Blu-ray Disc includes all of the DVD special features plus several exclusives…
- BD-50 Dual Layer
- 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
- English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- French and Spanish 5.1 DTS Surround
- English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Blu-ray Exclusive Extras:
- My Chat: Using your internet-connected player, host a text chat with your friends who also own Hellboy II: The Golden Army on Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def while you watch the movie in synchronization!
- Sneak Peek of Wanted: Watch never-before seen footage from the explosive action movie Wanted, starring Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy.
- My Scenes Sharing: Show your friends your favorite scenes from Hellboy II: The Golden Army via BD-Live.
- Comic Book Builder: Create an original downloadable Hellboy adventure by selecting still images from the movie, dropping them into comic book layouts and adding text. The result can be e-mailed to friends or published via BD-Live buddy lists.
- U-Control: Universal's exclusive signature feature U-Control allows viewers to delve into the making of the film with the click of the remote without ever leaving the movie.
- Scene Explorer: Schufften Goggle View: View scenes from the film as it progresses from storyboards and early renderings of the visual effects to the final film.
- Director's Notebook: Fans will get an interactive glimpse at the director's personal journal and view how early thematic concepts evolved into the final film. Includes an introduction by Guillermo Del Toro.
- Set Visits: Interactive vignettes provide information about key moments in the film.
- Comic Book Back-Story Interactive Feature: Clickable motion pages provide backstories of the film's characters.
- Feature Commentary with Director Guillermo del Toro
- Feature Commentary with Cast Members Jeffrey Tambor, Selma Blair and Luke Goss
- Set Visits: Seven mini documentaries provide viewers with unlimited access to the Hellboy II: The Golden Army set.
- Troll Market Tour with Guillermo del Toro: Using sketches and backstage video, del Toro walks the audience through the creation of one of the film's most distinctive sets, the legendary Troll Market.
- Animated Zinco Epilogue Comic
- Deleted Scenes With Optional Commentary by Director Guillermo del Toro
- Prologue: A special introduction to the DVD from director Guillermo del Toro.
- Pre-Production Vault:
- Director's Notebook: Exclusive interviews, image scans and text from Guillermo del Toro's personal notebook.
- Concept Art Gallery: Original designs and concepts for Hellboy II: The Golden Army's costumes and sets.
- Hellboy: In Service Of The Demon: Over two hours of footage that takes fans into the creation of this film.
- Production Workshop: Professor Broom's Puppet Theatre: A special look inside the opening sequence of the film including storyboards and animatics.
- Image Gallery Featuring Teaser Banners, One-Sheets and Poster Explorations
- DVD Rom: Hellboy II: The Golden Army Script
Click to enlarge