Hairspray (BD) in November
New Line Home Entertainment have announced the US Region A Blu-ray Disc release of Hairspray on 20th November 2007 priced at $39.98 SRP. Directed and choreographed by Adam Shankman, Hairspray is based on John Waters’ contemporary classic film and the subsequent Broadway musical about star-struck teenagers on a local Baltimore dance show. The cast includes John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Queen Latifah, Christopher Walken, Amanda Bynes, Zac Efron, Brittany Snow, James Marsden, Elijah Kelley, Allison Janney and newcomer Nikki Blonsky.
New Line’s first HD title is coming to Blu-ray Disc first, day-and-date with the DVD edition with an upcoming HD DVD release to follow in early 2008. No mention is made in the press release for the HD DVD delay, but the reasoning behind the decision is the format’s lack of region coding (see Video Business).
All extras from the 2-Disc DVD release will be included on the Blu-ray Disc version (presented in HD) along with a high-def exclusive “Behind the Beat” picture-in-picture feature.
The main feature is presented in 1080P 2.35:1 Widescreen with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and optional English SDH and Spanish subtitles.
- All new musical number, “I Can Wait”
- Feature-length audio commentary from director and choreographer Adam Shankman, star Nikki Blonsky and producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron
- Deleted scenes with audio commentary from director and choreographer Adam Shankman and star Nikki Blonsky
- “You Can’t Stop the Beat: The Long Journey of Hairspray” documentary
- “Step By Step: The Dances of Hairspray” featurette offering how-to dance Instruction
- “Hairspray Extensions” featurette, giving viewers dance breakdowns
- Jump to a song with optional sing-along feature
- “The Roots of Hairspray” featurette
- Theatrical trailer
Additional Blu-ray Disc extras:
- “Behind the Beat” picture-in-picture option allowing viewers to watch behind-the-scenes footage and on-screen commentary concurrently with the running feature
When the HD DVD arrives all of the above content will be included alongside an additional interactive “connectivity” experience with web-enhanced features.